Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/18 06:46:06 UTC

Fragments, Validation and IE

I'm experiencing an odd issue where a hidden form fragment is showing
server-side validation errors (even though the fragment is hidden); it's
only happening when the form is submitted via IE.  Seems ok in Firefox and
Safari, anyway.

I don't know i f I can isolate the problem into an easy-to-absorb test case
yet, but thought I'd start by inquiring as to whether or not anyone has run
into this yet.

   - Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey Wiseman
http://www.geoffreywiseman.ca/

Re: Fragments, Validation and IE

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Geoffrey Wiseman <
geoffrey.wiseman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm experiencing an odd issue where a hidden form fragment is showing
> server-side validation errors (even though the fragment is hidden); it's
> only happening when the form is submitted via IE.  Seems ok in Firefox and
> Safari, anyway.
>
> I don't know i f I can isolate the problem into an easy-to-absorb test case
> yet, but thought I'd start by inquiring as to whether or not anyone has run
> into this yet.

Works in Chrome, too.  I've validated that it doesn't work on WinXP/IE7
under VMWare Fusion, but I'm getting the bug report from people on actual
Windows machines, so it's reasonable reproducible at least in our
application.

  - Geoffrey

Posted by Felix Gonschorek <fe...@ggmedia.net>.
we are encountering the same problem here - server side validation errors for
fields in a form fragment that is not visible/active. happens under firefox too.
the textfields not visible that produce the validation errors are filled with
default values when the form is loaded the first time.

the deactivation of combined scripts and compressen does not help :-/

geoffrey, did you find any solution for your problem?

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.
geoffrey.wiseman@gmail.com> wrote (paraphrased):

> I'm experiencing an odd issue where a hidden form fragment is showing
> server-side validation errors (even though the fragment is hidden) but only
> in IE.

This turned out to be a bit of generated Javascript in a component that IE
disliked, but that all other browsers were happy with.

I got just far enough in Tapestry's internals to understand that while the
page was originally rendered, both IE and Firefox "stored actions" dealing
with the hidden fields in the form data, and by the time the request came
back to the server, the stored actions dealing with those fields were
apparently not present.  I'm guessing that some piece of Javascript code
interacts with the stored actions on the client-side, and because the
generated Javascript was causing an error in IE, that client-side Javascript
wasn't executing.  Perhaps someone with a better understanding of Tapestry
implementation and form fragments can confirm.

I should work on figuring out how to tell IE to hide less from me; I would
have solved this much faster if I'd known there was a Javascript issue.

  - Geoffrey