Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Nicholas Wilson <ni...@realvnc.com> on 2016/02/02 10:46:08 UTC

How are timestamps selected for LWTs?

Hi,

In the Cassandra docs I've read, it's not described how the timestamp is determined for LWTs. It's not possible to specify a timestamp with "USING TIMESTAMP ...", and my best guess is that in the "read" phase of the LWT (between propose and commit) the timestamp is selected based on the timestamps of the cells read. However, after reading through the source code (mainly StorageProxy::cas) I can't any hint of that.

I'm worried about the following problem:

Node A writes (using a LWT): UPDATE table SET val = 123, version = 2 WHERE key = 'foo' IF version = 1
Node B writes (using a LWT): UPDATE table SET val = 234, version = 3 WHERE key = 'foo' IF version = 2

If the first write is completed before the second, then both updates will be applied, but if Node B's clock is behind Node A's clock, then the second update would be effectively discarded if client-generated timestamps are used. It wouldn't take a big clock discrepancy, the HW clocks could in fact be perfectly in sync, but if the kernel ticks System.currentTimeMillis() at 15ms intervals it's quite possible for the two nodes to be 30ms out from each other.

So, after the update query has "succeeded", do you need to do a read to find out whether it was actually applied? That would be surprising, since I can't find mention of it anywhere in the docs. You'd actually have to do a QUORUM read after every LWT update, just to find out whether your client chose the timestamp sensibly.

The ideal thing would be if Cassandra chose the timestamp for the write, using the timestamp of the cells read during Paxos, to guarantee that writes are applied if the query condition holds, rather than leaving the potential for the query to succeed but do nothing if the cell already has a higher timestamp.

If I've misunderstood, please do correct me!

Thanks,
Nicholas

---
Nicholas Wilson
Software developer
RealVNC

Re: How are timestamps selected for LWTs?

Posted by Nicholas Wilson <ni...@realvnc.com>.
Thanks, Sylvain.

I missed it because I wasn't looking in the right place! In StorageProxy::cas, Commit::newProposal() unpacks the ballot's UUID into a timestamp.

I think I understand how it works now, thank you.

Regards,

Nick

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.