Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Norris <CN...@widen.com> on 2003/09/24 23:47:58 UTC

Problems with the ApplicationRuntimeException

Lately I've been having problems with throwing ApplicationRuntimeExceptions.
I think this may be more of a Tomcat problem than a Tapestry one, but I'm
not sure.  Here's what happens:

When the ARE is thrown, Tomcat gives me an error that starts off with this:
exception

javax.servlet.ServletException
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.activateExceptionPage(AbstractEngi
ne.java:522)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:954)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:238
)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doGet(ApplicationServlet.java:199)

So the exception page is not even displaying.  The root cause is this:
root cause

org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationRuntimeException
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.RequestCycle.renderPage(RequestCycle.java:425)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.renderResponse(AbstractEngine.java
:774)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.activateExceptionPage(AbstractEngi
ne.java:501)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:954)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:238
)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doGet(ApplicationServlet.java:199)

Now, I've found a work around that is horrible and painful.  If I stop the
Tomcat service, go to the tomcathome\work\Standalone\localhost directory,
delete the directory that corresponds to my application, and then restart
Tomcat (this recreates the directory I deleted), everything works fine.  The
ApplicationRuntimeException is thrown and the regular Tapestry exception
page shows up.

This has boggled a few minds here.  Any ideas?

-chris