Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/20 02:54:52 UTC

solr+jetty logging to syslog?

The solution involves slf4j to log4j to syslog (at least, for solr),
but I'm having some trouble stringing all the parts together.  If
anyone is doing this, would you mind posting how you use slf4j-log4j
jar, what your log4j.properties looks like, what your java system
properties settings are, and anything else you think is relevant?

Much appreciated

-Steve

Re: solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.
With 1.4

-Add log4j jars to Solr

-Configure de SyslogAppender with something like:
log4j.appender.solrLog=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.solrLog.Facility=LOCAL0
log4j.appender.solrLog.SyslogHost=127.0.0.1
log4j.appender.solrLog.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.solrLog.layout.ConversionPattern=solr: %-4r [%t] %-5p %c -
%m%n

-Install syslog-ng and let syslog accept udp packets. To do that uncomment
in syslog-ng.conf the line
 udp();
in
# all known message sources
source s_all {

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Turning down logging for SOLR running on Weblogic

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
DEO, SHANTANU S (ATTCINW) wrote:
> Hi
>  We recently started a SOLR instance running under Weblogic and noticed
> that there are a lot of DEBUG messages being output, that we did not
> notice before when we used tomcat.
> Where can we turn this logging level down ?
>
> Thanks
> Shantanu
> AT&T eCommerce Web Hosting - Release Management
> Office: (425)288-6081
> email: sd189d@att.com

If you are using Solr 1.4 you can use different logging frameworks - by
default its java util logging - so you just use a standard java util
logging to config to set your logging levels:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging

I believe it uses a default config in the JRE folder if you don't set
your own config (with a system property on starting your container) - so
perhaps that got set to debug? It normally defaults to info.

- Mark

Turning down logging for SOLR running on Weblogic

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does no one send solr logging to syslog?
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The solution involves slf4j to log4j to syslog (at least, for solr),
> > but I'm having some trouble stringing all the parts together.  If
> > anyone is doing this, would you mind posting how you use slf4j-log4j
> > jar, what your log4j.properties looks like, what your java system
> > properties settings are, and anything else you think is relevant?

I guess you may get better help if you ask this on slf4j or the log4j
mailing lists.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: solr+jetty logging to syslog?

Posted by Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com>.