Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/08 13:46:07 UTC

What to do with old codebases once graduated?

This thought crossed my mind when thinking about the recent riot
concerning trunk:

What do we do with the codebase that still has licensing issues?

Does that have to remain in the incubator svn? Does it move with us to
our own wicket repo once we are TLP?

For instance, wicket 2.0, current trunk, is not released in the
incubator. When we get 1.3-incubator-* successfully through the IPMC
what is then the next thing on our agenda?

1  - do the same trick for 2.0/trunk? -> all licensing issues would be
resolved for that codebase
2 - graduate? -> we have proven to be able to build a legally solid
release, and other things are also fullfilled: diverse, meritocratic
community (added 2 or even 3 new committers during incubation), etc.

Even if we do 1, we would still have the 1.2 codebase in our repo,
with licensing issues (LGPL datepicker). Can we move that with us, or
does that stay in the incubator?

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.5 will keep your server alive. Download Wicket now!

Re: What to do with old codebases once graduated?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> This thought crossed my mind when thinking about the recent riot
> concerning trunk:
>
> What do we do with the codebase that still has licensing issues?
>
> Does that have to remain in the incubator svn? Does it move with us to
> our own wicket repo once we are TLP?
>
> For instance, wicket 2.0, current trunk, is not released in the
> incubator. When we get 1.3-incubator-* successfully through the IPMC
> what is then the next thing on our agenda?
>
> 1  - do the same trick for 2.0/trunk? -> all licensing issues would be
> resolved for that codebase
> 2 - graduate? -> we have proven to be able to build a legally solid
> release, and other things are also fullfilled: diverse, meritocratic
> community (added 2 or even 3 new committers during incubation), etc.
>
> Even if we do 1, we would still have the 1.2 codebase in our repo,
> with licensing issues (LGPL datepicker). Can we move that with us, or
> does that stay in the incubator?

*releases* are what the ASF are about. Storing code in SVN doesn't
constitute releasing it.

When we graduate, someone'll do:

svn mv https://..../incubator/wicket https://..../wicket

So all code will go with. If you wish to prune, you're welcome.

As to what to do next? The Wicket PPMC needs to chose a chair for the
forthcoming PMC.

A release of 2.0 would undoubtably be a good thing - at least to the
point of having the code well audited. If the code isn't ready for any
release to users, we can always do a 'quiet release', i.e. prepare it
and put it up on people.apache.org for review, but not actually release
it to the public. That is sufficient for the needs of the incubator PMC.

Personally, I think we are ready to start looking at the subject of
graduation. I need to think a bit more myself about what details we may
still need to cover, but we're certainly making good progress in that
direction.

Regards, Upayavira