Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2016/01/06 20:40:16 UTC

Board report

Here is the report I propose to file for the 1/20 Apache board meeting. Comments?

Julian

Attachment K: Report from the Apache Calcite Project  [Julian Hyde]

## Description

  Apache Calcite is a highly customizable engine for parsing and
  planning queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows
  database-like access, and in particular a SQL interface and advanced
  query optimization, for data not residing in a traditional database.

  As a framework, Calcite’s audience is fairly small, consisting
  mainly of developers building data engines (Drill, Phoenix, Hive for
  example) but also streaming engines such as Samza, and some
  commercial engines using Calcite for query planning and its Avatica
  JDBC layer.

## Issues:

 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:

 - New alliances with streaming projects:
   - Storm committed initial SQL support based on Calcite;
   - Flink announced plans to use Calcite develop a SQL interface for
     both streaming and traditional queries.
 - Release schedule a bit slow due to the holidays, but 1.6 will
   probably happen mid-January.
 - List, JIRA, and commit activity are about above average.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 13 PMC members.

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 11 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Josh Elser was added as a committer on Sun Nov 08 2015
    - Wei Xue was added as a committer on Sun Nov 08 2015

## Releases:

 - 1.5.0 was released on Mon Nov 09 2015

## Mailing list activity:

 - dev@calcite.apache.org:

 - issues@calcite.apache.org:

## JIRA activity:

Re: Board report

Posted by Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <jc...@hortonworks.com>.
LGTM, +1

--
Jesús

Re: Board report

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
lgtm +1

Re: Board report

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Board report

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016, at 08:40 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> Here is the report I propose to file for the 1/20 Apache board meeting.
> Comments?
>
> Julian

Looks good, +1

Steven.