Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com> on 2010/08/16 16:33:06 UTC

Integrate user guides generation into build

Re: Integrate user guides generation into build

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.

On 08/16/10 17:58, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> I'm not sure if the documentation should be in the 'apacheds' sub-project or if it would be better to have it in a separate sub-project.
> It would probably allow us to work and release various versions of ApacheDS and its documentation independently.

Ohh, ohhh ...

That's exactly what Emmanuel already mentioned [1]
I'll move it up (what shall the parent-pom be then?
- - directory/apacheds-parent
- - directory/project
- - ???

What it be ok to move it up at the level of apacheds/shared/... and add
it to the trunk-with-dependencies?

Thanks for heads up.

BTW
Do we need in this case a kind of pre-/post-processing to include
somehow the valid ApacheDS version for this guide?

Regards
Felix

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-dev/201008.mbox/%3C4C6022F4.9020806@gmail.com%3E

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/16/10 4:33 PM, Felix Knecht wrote:

> IMO it doesn't makes sense to build the user guides each time when the
> apacheds is built and/or tests are run.
Totally agree
> So there're 2 possible solutions
> a) Add a profile containing the module 'user-guides' and them build it
> quite early in the build lifecycle [1], e.g. generate-sources
> b) Build it in a lifecycle after the common build lifecycle ->  use one
> of the "Site lifecycles"
>
> I'd preferre b), because this way one doesn't needs to remember that a
> profile has to be indicated for building the docs ->  I'd leave it the
> way it is already "pre-site".

It's up to you, you are the boss, here :)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com