Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/10/08 14:14:17 UTC

Segment violations with 'too many' VirtualHosts (FreeBSD) (fwd)

virtual hosts go kaboom.

not acked

From: Fred Condo <fr...@lightside.net>
Subject: Segment violations with 'too many' VirtualHosts (FreeBSD)
Cc: phil@quinn.com

I previously wrote in comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix:

A client has been running Apache under FreeBSD for a while, and now
suddenly the following problems happen:

1. httpd takes a LONG time (in excess of 10 minutes) to configure itself.
2. every hit yields an error of this type in error_log:
   [Fri Sep 20 15:03:08 1996] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping core
   and of this type in /var/log/messages:
   Sep 20 15:08:46 otny /kernel: pid 299: httpd: uid 65534: exited on signal 6

Despite the 'dumping core,' no core files can be found on the system.

The problems seem *not* to occur if there is 1 and only 1 VirtualHost, but
this system was running fine with half a dozen VirtualHosts only a week
ago. I made sure that all the IP addresses, aliases, and DNS files were
correct. The problem occurs with Apache 1.0.2 and with Apache 1.1.1. I
have exhausted all the things I could think of. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Now, more new information:

The host in question above got to the point where it would fail with
SIGSEGV unless there were ZERO virtual hosts. The server was so unusable
that the owner of it has switched to Windows NT.

I meanwhile administer a server running FreeBSD 2.1.0-STABLE and Apache
1.1.1. It is currently running 7 virtual hosts, but an 8th virtual host
causes at least some of the IP addresses to generate segment violations.

I will be happy to provide any further information you request. Thanks.

----- End of forwarded message from Fred Condo -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
http://www.imdb.com/  ... why wait for a clear night to see the stars?.