Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/02/02 13:38:13 UTC

draft proposal: split up email list

following on from the discussion, I'd like to outline the proposal to bring a vote on two topics. I'm not sure what level of contribution defines bindingness (committer?)

Proposal #1:  create notifications@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apache.org> for notifications.
Machine-generated emails would go here:

  1.  JIRA edit/update notifications,
  2.  git/svn commits

Issue 1a? Jenkins: do we want jenkins broke/fixed emails to still go to dev@? Especially on the state change events? That is, if jenkins is still broken, don't send updates, but if someone dies just break it, let everyone know.

Issue 1b? JIRA completions: the hadoop dev lists are set up so that when JIRAs are completed they are announced on the dev@ list. This means that even if you don't care about ongoing work, you do get to keep an eye on what has just finished.

Proposal #2: create user@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apacheorg> for general usage emails

I think we could do a vote on this while still resolving/tweaking issues 1a and 1b; that's a matter of tuning the email settings in those builds & JIRA projects until we are happy.

-Steve

Re: draft proposal: split up email list

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
OK, we already have a commits mailing list, see

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-slider-commits/

so git/svn emails can stay what they are

On 2 February 2015 at 12:59:01, Jon Maron (jmaron@hortonworks.com<ma...@hortonworks.com>) wrote:

On Feb 2, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> following on from the discussion, I'd like to outline the proposal to bring a vote on two topics. I'm not sure what level of contribution defines bindingness (committer?)
>

> Proposal #1: create notifications@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apache.org> for notifications.
> Machine-generated emails would go here:
>
> 1. JIRA edit/update notifications,
> 2. git/svn commits
>
> Issue 1a? Jenkins: do we want jenkins broke/fixed emails to still go to dev@? Especially on the state change events? That is, if jenkins is still broken, don't send updates, but if someone dies just break it, let everyone know.

+1

> Issue 1b? JIRA completions: the hadoop dev lists are set up so that when JIRAs are completed they are announced on the dev@ list. This means that even if you don't care about ongoing work, you do get to keep an eye on what has just finished.

It probably makes sense to continue that practice.

Posted by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com>.