Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by gmparker2000 <gr...@brovada.com> on 2012/09/23 14:53:11 UTC

JavaScript slow load time

I'm having a strange problem with page load times slowing down significantly.
Its strange but it seems related to the total size of the JavaScript
contribution being made to the header.  We include common JavaScript
required by all of our pages in a base class (things like jquery).  In total
there are six JavaScript files included.  If I clear my browser cache and
refresh the page, the load time is on the order of 25 seconds.  Once cached,
the page takes no time to load.  If I choose any three JavaScript files at
random and exclude them the same test runs very fast.  It makes no
difference which ones I pick.  I also combined all the JavaScript into one
big file and tried a single include.  This was also very slow.  The combined
size of the JavaScript is 123KB.

I already looked over this post that seemed to have addressed some related
issues:

http://markmail.org/thread/44hui777oz7rlg4w#query:+page:1+mid:j63mkcqiv2h7qsrq+state:results

I am currently testing with:

wicket 4.1.19 (also tried 4.1.21 with identical results)
Java 1.6.0_33
Tomcat 6.0.26

Re: JavaScript slow load time

Posted by gmparker2000 <gr...@brovada.com>.
Follow up.  I turned on the access valve on tomcat and I can see a request
for each JavaScript file.  Each request completes in a fraction of a second,
so there is no one file that is causing the slowdown.  However, about half
way through requesting the files, it seems to take a 20 to 25 second break.
So far I have observed this behaviour around the wicket_ajax.js and
wicket_event.js requests.  This could just be a coincidence.  I initially
thought perhaps one of these scripts was executing something and tying up
the browser before it could request the next script;  however, this problem
doesn't occur once the JavaScript has been cached.  Subsequent requests are
very fast.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Something else I could try?