Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com> on 2005/03/03 11:06:55 UTC

Re: [Nutch-general] combining crawl directories

Keith,

just copy your all your segment folders in one folder.
The create a new empty webdb. As next you can simply update your new
webdb with all your existing segments.
The result is a merge of your 2 crawl directories.
BTW. there was some discussion how to do location limited crawling in
the developer mailing list.

HTH
Stefan

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Keith,

may I was not clear we have may a other use case.
The goal of our research project was to identify the location of the
content publisher.
Since publisher and domain owner are mostly identical our result was
fair enough.
Of curse we cache whois results since this is a bottleneck and not
allowed to do dos attacks on whois servers.
Further more we do named entity extraction and then try to classify the
entities like address based on the context informations - to assign an
location to an domain.
However the first method provide better qualities.

Anyway in case you would love to get the location of a server you can
do a other nice trick.
First there are some free and commercial datasets ip ranges to
locations.
Do a traceroute to the target server and then try to identify one of
the latest servers in the ip-location db. :-)
Please note that this method is secured by a patent of a company.
I heard google used this method as well but a cout descide that is
mechanism is patented by these company - i didn't remember the name.

HTH
Stefan

Posted by Keith Campbell <ke...@mac.com>.
Stefan,