Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Braver <rb...@ohww.norman.ok.us> on 2006/11/17 04:49:36 UTC

Re[2]: Real fix for stock spams - pick up a pen

On Thursday, November 16, 2006, 8:00:09 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:

MS> It was $500, and the law changed to make it impossible to collect
MS> anymore.

MS> Before, it was a 'first strike' and you owe $500.  Now you have to 'opt
MS> out' (they can still send you one)

Opt-out applies only if there is an existing business relationship
with the recipient, and several other requirements are met.

The rules haven't changed w/r/t typical junk faxes... you can(and
indeed we are) nailing them for the first fax, last fax, and every
fax in between.

--
Best regards,
 Robert Braver

Re: Real fix for stock spams - pick up a pen

Posted by Bookworm <qm...@bkwm.com>.
Robert Braver wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2006, 8:00:09 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>
> MS> It was $500, and the law changed to make it impossible to collect
> MS> anymore.
>
> MS> Before, it was a 'first strike' and you owe $500.  Now you have to 'opt
> MS> out' (they can still send you one)
>
> Opt-out applies only if there is an existing business relationship
> with the recipient, and several other requirements are met.
>
> The rules haven't changed w/r/t typical junk faxes... you can(and
> indeed we are) nailing them for the first fax, last fax, and every
> fax in between.

Yes - Opt-out _used_ to sometimes be a valid excuse, but especially
since the change last summer, it's basically "Unless you have a piece of
paper saying that you can send them faxes, you can't send them faxes".
The only exception to that rule is a fax saying "We'd like to send you
information X."  - you can't include any of the information, just the
request.  Then they have to send that back.

Faxes are opt-in only, unless you already have a prior business
relationship (that piece of paper.  Two of my customers that faxed to
various construction companies (legitimately, they never hid, and they
always removed), spent weeks sending out "if you'd like to continue
receiving these faxes, please fill this out and send it back" papers)

BW