Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org> on 2007/04/23 21:42:29 UTC

[VOTE] drop java 1.2 support in ant 1.7.1 and later

Hi

Because the discussion is coming up again, and I would like to have a
clear result, here an official Vote request.

Given the facts that
1) java 1.2 is EOL
2) java 1.2 is not supported by the official ant 1.7.0 delivery
3) the problems running java 1.2 on some newer versions of operating systems

I propose to drop java 1.2 support completely in ant 1.7.1 , also for
custom builds.
If some organisation wants to stick to java 1.2, I would expect it to be
acceptable to stick to ant 1.6.5 for such organisation.

It has to be noted that the ant 1.7.0 delivery can be built using jdk
1.2 and also be used using jdk 1.2 in that case.

[ ] Yes drop Java 1.2 support altogether as of now
[ ] No do not drop Java 1.2 support altogether as of now

Martijn

Re: [VOTE] drop java 1.2 support in ant 1.7.1 and later

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1 - drop java 1.2 for ant 1.7.1

Peter

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 4/23/07, Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Because the discussion is coming up again, and I would like to have a
> clear result, here an official Vote request.
>
> Given the facts that
> 1) java 1.2 is EOL
> 2) java 1.2 is not supported by the official ant 1.7.0 delivery
> 3) the problems running java 1.2 on some newer versions of operating
> systems
>
> I propose to drop java 1.2 support completely in ant 1.7.1 , also for
> custom builds.
> If some organisation wants to stick to java 1.2, I would expect it to be
> acceptable to stick to ant 1.6.5 for such organisation.
>
> It has to be noted that the ant 1.7.0 delivery can be built using jdk
> 1.2 and also be used using jdk 1.2 in that case.
>
> [ ] Yes drop Java 1.2 support altogether as of now
> [ ] No do not drop Java 1.2 support altogether as of now
>
> Martijn

Alexey N. Solofnenko
Home: http://trelony.cjb.net/
Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

Re: [VOTE] drop java 1.2 support in ant 1.7.1 and later

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
+1 to dropping support for Java 1.2 altogether as of now.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
+1

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] drop java 1.2 support in ant 1.7.1 and later

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martijn,

+1 (yes let's drop 1.2 support for 1.7+)

Kev

Re: [VOTE] drop java 1.2 support in ant 1.7.1 and later

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org>.
This vote has passed as there were only votes in favour of dropping
support of java 1.2

Martijn