Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Harsha Balasubramanian <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/03 01:36:39 UTC

Does rebalancing the topology re-start the processing?

Hi,

 When a topology is re-balanced, I know it does not get terminated and
re-started. But does the processing of tuples start from the beginning for
all spouts and bolts?

Every time I re-balance, the UI loses data from the previously processed
tuples and starts from 0.

Thanks,
Harsha

*Contact Details: *
Harsha Balasubramanian
Graduate Student at University of Toronto
Masters in Computer Science

Mobile : 647-771-3596
Email 1: harshab85@cs.toronto.edu
Email 2: harshab85@gmail.com
LinkedIn : ca.linkedin.com/in/harshabala/

Re: Does rebalancing the topology re-start the processing?

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.
Processing doesn't  start from the beginning. It starts where it left
off. Usually any tuples that are in middle of processing that are not
acked will get timed out and replayed. The reason the metrics get reset
is , storm metrics are in memory they are not persisted anywhere. So
when you rebalance a topology if a worker is killed than your metrics
get reset.
-Harsha