Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net> on 2008/05/07 17:24:26 UTC

Re: Why SAAJOutInterceptor not added to WSS4JOutInterceptor in 2.0.6?

I'm not so certain about that, because I'd like to someday have the
option of having interceptors for Sun's XWSS product[1] as well, so the
user can explicitly choose the security library--WSS4J or XWSS--he
wants.  (Spring Web Services offers people XWSS[2] so that may also be a
good option for us to provide.  I have not looked much into the
feasibility of this for CXF though.)  To that end, having interceptors
that explicitly reference the security library being used would be a
good idea IMO.

[BTW, Fred, as I understand WSS4J is a WS-Security 1.0 implementation
and not a WSS 1.1 implementation.  In terms of supporting SAML Token
Profiles (whether 1.0, 1.1, or even 2.0), however, I *believe* WSS4J can
handle all three types providing the client and service can handle those
profile versions--i.e., WS-Security just provides the framework for
sending SAML tokens regardless of the token's format, and both
WS-Security 1.0 and WS-Security 1.1 will work regardless of version of
tokens you are using.  Am I correct here?  If so, I would update your
web site to state that--to remove some FUD about using WSS4J--it just
says it supports SAML Tokens without specifying the SAML Token version.

I mention this because we are having concerns at work that XWSS is a
WS-1.1 implementation while WSS4J is "just" an 1.0 implementation,
although I suspect, at least in terms of supporting the various Token
Profiles, they are 98% if not 100% the same.]

Regards,
Glen

[1] https://xwss.dev.java.net/
[2]