Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Rachel Sand Harrison <rs...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/06 21:36:02 UTC

New Doc Volunteer

Hello mailing list subscribers!

My name is Rachel. I am a Washington D.C. transplant to the Midwest. My
professional background is in technical writing and business analysis. I
have been an OpenOffice user for the last three years.

Recently I have been pulled into roles and projects requiring fewer
technical writing responsibilities, which has been disappointing because I
really love documentation for all of its usefulness, and I hate to see
organizations give it a low priority.

So here I am hoping to get the fulfillment of creating beautiful
documentation while also lending my time to a worthy cause. I have the
skills to act as an Author and Editor, so my stretch goal is to gain the
knowledge necessary to also become a Toolsmith for the Documentation Team.
Basically I just want to help docs get produced and moved!

So far I have been able to create a CWiki account, and it looks like much
of that content has been migrated to another version of Confluence. Or am I
misunderstanding the comments on the Documentation Volunteer and Directory
of Volunteers pages? I don't have the option to edit any of the current
pages.

And right now I am unable to create an MWiki account because the sign up
validation feature isn't functioning properly. I see the instruction "To
help protect against automated account creation, please select just the cat
photos in the box below:" and nothing is displayed. To get assistance with
this, is my best bet to haunt the user forums or does someone on the list
know a more direct route to obtain help? I have been able to rule out the
issue being browser-related.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Rachel

Re: New Doc Volunteer

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rachel Sand Harrison wrote:
> I just need my CWiki account activated: rsandharrison.

Whitelisted (i.e., activated):
Rachel Sand Harrison (rsandharrison)

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: New Doc Volunteer

Posted by Rachel Sand Harrison <rs...@gmail.com>.
Using Internet Explorer worked for creating the MWiki account.

I just need my CWiki account activated: rsandharrison.

Thanks for the help!
On Jan 7, 2014 12:33 PM, "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>

Re: New Doc Volunteer

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: New Doc Volunteer

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2014 Rachel Sand Harrison wrote:
> So far I have been able to create a CWiki account, and it looks like much
> of that content has been migrated to another version of Confluence. Or am I
> misunderstanding the comments on the Documentation Volunteer and Directory
> of Volunteers pages? I don't have the option to edit any of the current
> pages.

Welcome! Accounts need manual activation now: let us know your username
on Cwiki and we will enable your account.

> And right now I am unable to create an MWiki account because the sign up
> validation feature isn't functioning properly.

This is related to general maintenance problems, so you will get
security warnings and some browsers won't work at all. If you don't
manage to register on Mwiki, let us know your desired username and we
will create an account for you. You will then be able to work with most
browsers with no issues.

Regards,
   Andrea.