Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by "Joe Reger, Jr." <re...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/11 17:44:36 UTC

Whirr + Hue?

Howdy!

I have some questions about running Hue (Cloudera's web interface to Hadoop)
on top of a Whirr-managed cluster.

We're using the cluster installation instructions:
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDHDOC/Hue+Installation#HueInstallation-InstallingandConfiguringHueonaCluster

When we come to the section Configuring Hue Plugins for Hadoop we have some
questions.  The file hdfs-site.xml isn't in /etc/hadoop-0.20/conf/.  We do
find a copy of it in /etc/hadoop-0.20/conf.empty/.   We know that getting
Whirr to run requires a symbolic link within the Hadoop conf directory.
Should we make the documented changes to that file?

And the big question is... how do we get Whirr to install the Hue plugins on
each member of the cluster?  We did find some code inside of Whirr that
seems to indicate that it supports Hue:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-whirr-commits/201008.mbox/%3C20100830195426.A3E0623888FE@eris.apache.org%3E

But we don't know how to trigger that installation.  Does it happen by
default across all members of the cluster?

Thanks for any insight into Whirr + Hue installation/config.

Joe

Re: Whirr + Hue?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
Whirr doesn't currently support Hue, but as Andrei indicated it's a
matter of writing a Whirr service so that you can specify Hue roles in
the instance templates. I've just opened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-306 for this issue.

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Whirr + Hue?