Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com> on 2004/03/17 22:33:28 UTC

Tomcat5 service on Windows

Hi folks, I know this question has been asked, but I couldn't find an
answer.

I have installed Tomcat 5.0.19 on Windows 2000 / Java 1.4.1. Right "out of
the box" the service fails to run. With service.bat I can install and
remove the service successfully. Starting the service from the services
panel yields:

Could not start the Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in
timely fashion

Running startup.bat works fine.

This is the same condition Mark Turansky reports with 5.0.18.

Running net start tomcat5 yields an equally cryptic error which I can't
remember (nor repeat since I reverted to the previous setup).

Clay Hensley suggested a registry edit that worked for him. No such luck
for me.

This 5.0.19 install is an upgrade from 4.0.24. I did not uninstall 4.0.24,
I simply renamed directories. I did a test upgrade on another machine that
is configured the same and it worked fine. The only notably difference
between the machines is that the failing machine is multi processor.

Any hints for exploring the system would be great. Thanks.

Daryl Stultz

Re: Tomcat5 service on Windows

Posted by Daryl Stultz <da...@6degrees.com>.
"Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org> writes:
I found Mark's reply:

[mark wrote]
>The error I described below was fixed by installing a public JRE.
>
>I do not want a public runtime!  I want the java installation in c:\java
>only, NOT in
>c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_03!!!
>
>Developers, please remove this ridiculous dependency.  4.1.28 worked just
>fine using
>my single installation at c:\java, but 5.0.18 won't?!?!

Is this the current state of Tomcat 5.0? It requires a public JRE? What is
a public JRE? Will installing one mean that I can't compile JSP's since
it's a JRE and not a JDK?

Thanks.

(Is this a developer list issue or user list?

[daryl wrote]