Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jerm <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2000/01/13 21:46:28 UTC

search engine

I was just thinking ....

With an XML list of your site's files to play with, it could be possible to make
an XSL that acts as a basic search engine for your site with Cocoon, using the
document() function; if the XSL could receive parameters from the request.

In XSP it would probably be even easier.

Hmmmm ....

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>        <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: search engine

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On 13/1/00 at 5:48 pm, pier@apache.org (Pierpaolo Fumagalli) wrote:

>Jerm wrote:
>> With an XML list of your site's files to play with, it could be possible to
>> make an XSL that acts as a basic search engine for your site with Cocoon,
>> using the document() function;

>But I think it would be so slow... Being orthogonal to HTML, also, an
>XML search engine should be able to work on different data, like, since
>most of the DTDs are "site specific", working on the contexts where
>keywords to search are found (If I look for a product called "FOOBAR" on
>my site, the search engine might be "clever" enough to search the word
>"foobar" in the <product> tag...)

I agree!
Very slow, and have to be built specially for each DTD.
But while another solution does not exist (?) it could be a temporary solution.

regards Jeremy

      Jeremy Quinn                                             media.demon
                                                           webSpace Design
     <ma...@media.demon.co.uk>       <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
      <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>          <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: search engine

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Jerm wrote:

> I was just thinking ....
>
> With an XML list of your site's files to play with, it could be possible to make
> an XSL that acts as a basic search engine for your site with Cocoon, using the
> document() function; if the XSL could receive parameters from the request.
>
> In XSP it would probably be even easier.
>
> Hmmmm ....

But I think it would be so slow... Being orthogonal to HTML, also, an
XML search engine should be able to work on different data, like, since
most of the DTDs are "site specific", working on the contexts where
keywords to search are found (If I look for a product called "FOOBAR" on
my site, the search engine might be "clever" enough to search the word
"foobar" in the <product> tag...)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>