Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/06/01 22:34:25 UTC

Re: [math][proposal] Drop serialization from selected classes

I need to clarify a detail I didn't fully grok when we started this
discussion. When the a Serializable class has an Abstract parent class
that isn't serializable, that class needs to have a default no-arg
constructor such that it can be instantiated. The solution to this is to
maintain "implements Serializable" on the underlying Abstract parent,
this is much simpler and more logical then writing default constructors
for all the parent classes and it is considerably much easier to
maintain. With this in mind we need to maintain implements Serializable
on many our Abstract classes whose full implementations we want to
maintain serialization on, I overlooked this on much of my previous
Univariate work because those classes all use noarg constructors, when I
removed serializable from the underlying Abstract classes, they were
still functionaly serializable because they met this requirement. When
working with the anaysis classes (which do not maintain no-arg
constructors)  I encountered the correct serialization errors which
should be expected when this requirement is not maintained.

-Mark