Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Alexey Neyman <st...@att.net> on 2013/09/14 00:23:35 UTC

Footnotes overlapping body [FOP-2106]

Hi FOP developers,

I am hitting the issue described in FOP issue 2106 [1]. I tried the workaround
mentioned in that issue (remove line-height-shift-adjustment from fo:root) and
while it helped the test FO attached to that issue, it didn't make any effect on the
document I have.

I am also seeing other manifestations of the same issue - where a footnote is
placed on the page before it is referenced, even though in other cases there is
sufficient space at the bottom of the page to accommodate that footnote. As far
as I see, it always happens when the reference to that footnote is placed on the
first line of the page.

This is probably why the workaround in [1] worked for the bad-footnote.fo attached
to that issue, as without line-height-shift-adjustment the reference to that
footnote moves from the first line of the page down.

Any pointers as to what may be causing that issue and/or workarounds would be
appreciated.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2106

Regards,
Alexey.

Re: Footnotes overlapping body [FOP-2106]

Posted by Alexey Neyman <st...@att.net>.
Oops, attached the wrong FO file.
Here is the right one, with PDF output.

Regards,
Alexey.

On Monday, September 16, 2013 12:11:55 AM Alexey Neyman wrote:

I further reduced the test case to just 4 fo:block elements, one with a footnote;
attached.

I did some initial debugging, and what I see is that if I remove the first two fo:block
elements in the source file, the footnote is rendered properly (see without-
page-1.pdf) - even though the content on page 2 does not change. This leads me to
think that the PageBreakingAlgorithm.restartFrom() is not resetting the context
correctly when it introduces a page break point after the 1st page.

I am currently at my end of my knowledge about FOP's internals. Is there anybody
here that could offer some pointers where to look, or am I talking to myself on this
list?

Regards,
Alexey.

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:53:09 PM Alexey Neyman wrote:

Hi,

If someone would be interested in looking into this, I've reduced the test case to
much smaller FO file - 29 lines, 3 pages in the generated PDF. Attached to this
email.

Regards,
Alexey.