Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Kevin Kovach <ko...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/09 21:28:23 UTC

Re: Problems Indexing

I've run into this error trying to add a new index for a custom attribute.
Are you saying here that custom attributes cannot be indexed?

Also, this NPE still seems to be present in 1.5.4  I looked in JIRA and did
not see a bug report for it.  I would be happy to fill one out if you
believe it has not been fixed?  Thanks.

- Kevin

--
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

-- Winston Churchill

Re: Problems Indexing

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Kevin Kovach wrote:
> I've run into this error trying to add a new index for a custom attribute.
> Are you saying here that custom attributes cannot be indexed?
>
> Also, this NPE still seems to be present in 1.5.4  I looked in JIRA and did
> not see a bug report for it.  I would be happy to fill one out if you
> believe it has not been fixed?  Thanks.
>
> - Kevin
>

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Ben_Black@amway.com wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>> Hi,
>>

>>> I seem to be having problems with the performance of my LDAP repository.
>>> This is my first play with LDAP, so please excuse my complete "novicedom".
>>> I'm hoping either you can help me or point me out the way to find help... I
>>> don't seem to be getting the information I need on the apacheDS site (or
>>> google for that matter)....
>>>

>>> I am running ApacheDS 1.5.0.
>>>

>> You should switch to 1.5.4. 1.5.0 is pretty old and buggy ...
>>

>>> I have created a schema/heirarchy using the attached LDIF files. I have an
>>> application which is inserting the "PAMUser" class, and this works
>>> successfully many times. However after adding just a few thousand entries
>>> the performance slows down to being unusable. I need to be able to add the
>>> order of hundreds of thousands of entries.
>>>

>> That should not be a problem.
>>

>>> Obvious solution (to me anyway) is to add an index. I have attempted to
>>> add an index in my server.xml by doing the following:
>>>

>> <snip/>
>> The 'userName' is not a default attributyeType. Only attributeType can be
>> indexed. However, you should not get a NPE, so I suggest you check if you
>> still get a NPE with 1.5.4, and if so, fill a JIRA.
>>
>> If you have created a specific schema, it would be usefull to tell us how
>> you created it, and to give us its content.

Ok,  that was easy : you can't create an index on an attribute which
does not define an Equality matching rule. Sadly, we don't test that
this mathcing rule does not exist, and we assume it exists, leading to a
NPE when trying to use it...

It will be fixed quickly.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Problems Indexing

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Kevin Kovach wrote:
> I've run into this error trying to add a new index for a custom attribute.
> Are you saying here that custom attributes cannot be indexed?
>
> Also, this NPE still seems to be present in 1.5.4  I looked in JIRA and did
> not see a bug report for it.  I would be happy to fill one out if you
> believe it has not been fixed?  Thanks.

I have fixed the initial error, in trunk, and I think there is another
one when one try to add an index on an existing base. This I have to
check too.

You can build the server from trunk, it should work even if you don't
add an index.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Problems Indexing

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Kevin Kovach wrote:
> I've run into this error trying to add a new index for a custom attribute.
> Are you saying here that custom attributes cannot be indexed?
>
> Also, this NPE still seems to be present in 1.5.4  I looked in JIRA and did
> not see a bug report for it.  I would be happy to fill one out if you
> believe it has not been fixed?  Thanks.

I have the same NPE :/

Yes, a JIRA for tracability would be cool.

I'm working on the problem...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com