Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm> on 2009/07/31 14:37:04 UTC

Is there any difference between using QueryParser and MultiFieldQueryParser when have single default search field ?

Is there any difference between using QueryParser and
MultiFieldQueryParser when have single default search field ?

Depending on how many default search fields on an searching an index I
select which of the two QueryParsers to use, but does it mater if I just
use MultiFIeldQueryParser all the time

Paul

Re: Is there any difference between using QueryParser and MultiFieldQueryParser when have single default search field ?

Posted by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm>.
Simon Willnauer wrote:
> This would not make much of a difference. I would guess that you have
> one additional "wrapping" boolean query if you use
> MultiFieldQueryParser. For query "foo AND bar" the MFQueryParser
> creates +(fname:foo) +(fname:bar) and QueryParser would create
> +fname:foo +fname:bar so in this case one level of BooleanQuery more
> than QueryParser.
>
> simon

Thanks, so minor performance difference but the results returned would
always be the same.

Re: Is there any difference between using QueryParser and MultiFieldQueryParser when have single default search field ?

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by prashant ullegaddi <pr...@gmail.com>.
In MultiFieldQueryParser, you can mention different fields of the document
which can
be searched for

E.g. in contents of the document, if you index different fields such as URL,
BOLD, ITALIC, you can search over all of them.
Additionally, there is provision to boost a field over the other as well.

~
Prashant

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.