Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com> on 2013/01/09 15:41:58 UTC

JobCache directory cleanup

Hello!

I've found that jobcache directory became very large on our cluster, e.g.:

# du -sh /data?/mapred/local/taskTracker/user/jobcache
465G    /data1/mapred/local/taskTracker/user/jobcache
464G    /data2/mapred/local/taskTracker/user/jobcache
454G    /data3/mapred/local/taskTracker/user/jobcache

And it stores information for about 100 jobs:

# ls -1 /data?/mapred/local/taskTracker/persona/jobcache/  | sort | uniq |
wc -l

I've found that there is following parameter:

<property>
  <name>mapreduce.jobtracker.retiredjobs.cache.size</name>
  <value>1000</value>
  <description>The number of retired job status to keep in the cache.
  </description>
</property>

So, if I got it right it intended to control job cache size by limiting
number of jobs to store cache for.

Also, I've seen that some hadoop users uses cron approach to cleanup
jobcache:
http://grokbase.com/t/hadoop/common-user/102ax9bze1/cleaning-jobcache-manually
 (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/201002.mbox/%3C99484d561002100143s4404df98qead8f2cf687a76d0@mail.gmail.com%3E
)

Are there other approaches to control jobcache size?
What is more correct way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We are using CDH 4.1.1.

--
Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Deployment Engineer
Grid Dynamics
+7 812 640 38 76
Skype: ivan.tretyakov
www.griddynamics.com
itretyakov@griddynamics.com

Re: JobCache directory cleanup

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks a lot!

That was it. There was following line in our code:
  jobConf.setKeepTaskFilesPattern(".*");

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Hemanth Yamijala <yhemanth@thoughtworks.com

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks a lot!

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks a lot!

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks a lot!

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Hemanth Yamijala <yhemanth@thoughtworks.com

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Good point. Forgot that one :-)

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Good point. Forgot that one :-)

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Good point. Forgot that one :-)

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Good point. Forgot that one :-)

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Ivan Tretyakov <itretyakov@griddynamics.com
> wrote:

> Thanks for replies!
>
> Hemanth,
> I could see following exception in TaskTracker log:
> But I'm not sure if it is related to this issue.
>
> > Now, when a job completes, the directories under the jobCache must get
> automatically cleaned up. However it doesn't look like this is happening in
> your case.
>
> So, If I've no running jobs, jobcache directory should be empty. Is it
> correct?

That is correct. I just verified it with my Hadoop 1.0.2 version

Thanks
Hemanth

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Hemanth Yamijala <yhemanth@thoughtworks.com

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thanks for replies!

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Robert Molina <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Ivan,
Regarding the mapreduce.jobtracker.retiredjobs.cache.size property, the
jobtracker keeps information about a number of completed jobs in memory.
There's a threshold for this, which is a single day by default - as well as
a certain number of jobs per user. Once these limits are hit, the job is
moved into the retired job cache.  Both are used for the UI as well as to
answer RPC requests from the client - like getJobStatus, or getCounters.
Once a job goes out of the retired job cache, it's not available via RPC.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Robert

Posted by Robert Molina <rm...@hortonworks.com>.