Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu> on 2014/12/20 00:03:40 UTC

Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Hi Everyone,

I've put together an alpha for proton 0.9. There are a couple of motivating
factors for introducing an alpha stage into the release process this time:

  - there are some new APIs as well as changes to existing APIs that are
worthy of some extra review
  - the install has changed a bit to accommodate the package structure that
comes along with the new APIs
  - this is the first release from git

Given all these things I figure we might need a slightly longer release
cycle than usual, so I put together an alpha and posted it in the usual
places.

Source tarballs can be found here:
  - https://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-proton-0.9-alpha-1/

Java binaries here:
  - https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1022

This being the first release from git, I've somewhat arbitrarily chosen a
process and encoded it into the bin/release.sh file. Any
comments/suggestions/improvements on the process are welcome.

--Rafael

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
Built and installed on a Fedora 20 x64 VM just fine.

The ruby-spec-test failed on my first run of the tests. I couldn't reproduce the failure again after that, and I didn't get any debug-able info on the first failure.  Just fyi.

Ran the existing pyngus unit tests and examples against the install - all pass.

A bit bummed we no longer have a setup.py bindings - not a straighforward install in a python virtual environment (virtualenv + pypi) without that.

--
-K

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.

--
-K

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for checking out the alpha. I suspect you're right about PROTON-784.
Any sort of minimal reproducer you could isolate would be greatly
appreciated.

--Rafael

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.
Hi Chuck,

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Hi Raphael,

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 12/19/2014 11:03 PM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've put together an alpha for proton 0.9. There are a couple of motivating
> factors for introducing an alpha stage into the release process this time:
>
>    - there are some new APIs as well as changes to existing APIs that are
> worthy of some extra review

In particular I'd like to highlight the additions designed to make using
the engine easier. There are new examples to demonstrate this and
feedback would be greatly appreciated.

On that topic, though all the examples are included in the tarball, only
the send.c and recv.c messenger examples are actually installed. None of
the engine examples are installed, nor are any examples for the other
language bindings (nor even the 'async' variants of the c messenger
examples).

The engine examples in the tarball do work against the install for this
alpha.

Re: Proton 0.9 alpha 1

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
Hi Raphael,