Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/20 09:21:30 UTC

Re-entrant and multi-entrant Groovy calls

Greetings,

Does Groovy safely support re-entrant and multi-entrant calls?  What I mean
by that is the following:

Re-entrant:  on a single OS thread - my Java program calls into Groovy,
then Groovy calls into my Java application, and then the Java application
calls back into Groovy.  So the stack has Java, Groovy, JAVA, and then
Groovy again.

Multi-entrant:  my Java application has many threads.  One of my threads
calls into Groovy.  Then, while one thread is still in Groovy, another
thread evokes Groovy.  So now we have two calls into Groovy by two
independent Java/OS threads running at the same time.

I understand the typical problems associated with application-level shared
variables.  This is expected.  The question revolves around Groovy's
internals.  I presume Groovy may have some shared data that is internal to
Groovy.  That's what I am unclear about.  Groovy would have had to be
designed for these scenarios from the ground up.

This is a little hard to test because if it can't always correctly handle
these situations, it may not become clear until certain scenarios arrive.
It may be hard for any "test" program I write to cause those scenarios, so
I thought this may be a known answer.

Thanks!

Blake McBride

Re: Re-entrant and multi-entrant Groovy calls

Posted by "Kerridge, Jon" <J....@napier.ac.uk>.
I have intermixed Groovy and JCSP easily and reliably, but not at the low-level thread level.

I use two libraries JCSP (CSP for Java) which provides a process based interface that enables the construction of multiprocess applications, either on a multi-core machine or on a cluster of multi-core machines.

In addition I have created a set of Groovy helper classes, groovyJCSP, that create a much simpler user enviroment to the underlying JCSP library.  These libraries have been used for more than 10 years, mostly in teaching but also to undertake large scale application development.

My github account has these libraries available (https://github.com/JonKerridge), which has examples of the use of the library including much higher level management of access to shared variables, including access to partitioned data structures such that two processes can read all the data but only one can write to a specific partition.

Jon

Professor Jon Kerridge
School of Computing
Edinburgh Napier University
Merchiston Campus
Edinburgh EH10 5DT

0131 455 2777
j.kerridge@napier.ac.uk<ma...@napier.ac.uk>

<http://www.soc.napier.ac.uk/~cs10/>

________________________________
Posted by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by "Kerridge, Jon" <J....@napier.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Not really, becasue you have just specified the groovy the crucial bit is how this is called and how data is shared / passed between between the Java and Groovy

Posted by Wolfgang Pedot <wo...@finkzeit.at>.
I would not expect any problems because of Groovy here, so far
Groovy-Classes have behaved like Java-Classes in my projects

Wolfgang

Posted by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wolfgang Pedot <wo...@finkzeit.at>.

Posted by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com>.
Every time I call Groovy from Java I do the following code snippets.  Does
this have the problem you are referring to?

public void runGroovy(String fileName) {

    JSONObject injson = ...

    JSONObject outjson = ...

    HibernateSessionUtil hsu = ...

GroovyClass gclass = loadClass(fileName, true);
if (gclass != null) {
Class[] ca = {
JSONObject.class,
JSONObject.class,