Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Barry Searle <se...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/08/23 18:59:17 UTC

Re: websphere.ant.tasks (WAS 5.1) and WSAD Studio ant tasks

Rebhan Gilbert, in his note below, was asking about the WAS AntTasks, and
the WSAD AntTasks, and Ant Builds+Deploys.

Well, it happens that I am now responsible for the WAS AntTasks and the
Studio (WSAD) AntTasks, and am also now responsible for creating an Ant
productionBuild example/script and an Ant productionDeploy example/script.

The very short answer to the question is that:
- wsAnt.bat (.sh) should be used to launch the wsAnttask builds
  = since it sets up the environment (all the WAS JARs, etc)
- runAnt.bat (.sh) must be used to launch Studio Ant builds
  = since it launches headless Eclipse to enable its build functions

However, many folks dont want a full Studio install for builds, and/or
dont want to be limited to Studio platforms (Windows/Linux). That issue
has been heard and is being addressed.  I cannot say anything more about
upcoming but unannounced products/features.

In the meantime, I have a Studio AntTask TechPreview with *many* new
Studio build functions (projectImport, projectSetImport,
workspaceClasspathVariable Set/Get, etc), and a complete Studio
productionBuild example with a Java Project, an EJB project, a WAR
project, an EAR project, etc.  Just send me an EMail if you want to
receive it and be added to the distribution list.  It runs fine on Studio
v50/v51 (or v6 betas)

I am partway through the subsequent productionDeploy example, which uses
wsAnttask tasks plus embedded wsAdmin JACL scripts/scriptlets to read a
property file defining the application(s) to be sequentially
phase-deployed to target server(s)/cluster(s), and application/module
property files defining any attributes to be set/modified during
deployment.  This work is also included in the above TechPreview, and run
with WAS v50/v51 (or v6 betas), primarily targeting NetworkDistribution
servers and/or clusters, but also standalone servers.

Barry Searle,    searle@ca.ibm.com,
"Architect, WebSphere Tools for Automated Production Build and
Deployment".