Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/04/16 18:26:58 UTC

reshuffling in merlin cvs this weekend

With recent changes to the build procedure to support centralized
versioning it has become necessary to build the set of merlin tutorials
as part of the overall build procedure.  This has an unfortunate side
effect in that the amount of memory consumed by maven exceed the amount
of memory available on my machine.  As a consequence I'll planning of
some heavy reshuffling of some of the merlin/* packages over the weekend
with the breakout of tutorials, composition and activation into
top-level packages and updating merlin build procedures to separate
tutorial and merlin product distribution builds.

I'll post a note when all is done.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: reshuffling in merlin cvs this weekend

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Saturday 17 April 2004 13:14, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>>I was thinking about doing it "tomorrow", somewhere between 18 April 03:00
>>UTC and 07:00 UTC, and everyone who have Merlin checked-out and working on
>>it, should commit their changes before then.
>

> Done.

Super - will be spending a rainy Sunday afternoon taking care of the
loose-ends in the build.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 17 April 2004 10:03, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I'll planning of some heavy reshuffling of some of the
> > merlin/* packages over the weekend
>
> If we can get Fitz to make the migration this weekend to SVN, would that
> work out better?

I have done a fair amount of moves already in the CVS, and the moves that
Stephen is requesting are fairly easy, BUT they will show up on the client
side as "problems", and a fresh checkout (or hacking the CVS/Entries files)
is necessary.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Niclas wrote:
> I have done a fair amount of moves already in the CVS, and the moves that
> Stephen is requesting are fairly easy, BUT they will show up on the client
> side as "problems", and a fresh checkout (or hacking the CVS/Entries
files)
> is necessary.

> I was thinking about doing it "tomorrow", somewhere between
> 18 April 03:00 UTC and 07:00 UTC, and everyone who have Merlin
> checked-out and working on it, should commit their changes
> before then.

Fitz, do you have time to do this, rather than have Niclas moving ",v"
files?

	--- Noel

Re: reshuffling in merlin cvs this weekend

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stephen,
>

>>I'll planning of some heavy reshuffling of some of the
>>merlin/* packages over the weekend
>

> If we can get Fitz to make the migration this weekend to SVN, would that
> work out better?  He has been focusing on improving the performance of the
> cvs2svn tool, but it should be fast enough to deal with the Avalon
> repositories.  I was just reminding him about them this afternoon.

It would be interesting to get some feedback on a test run and from that
identify if we have problems to deal with or if its a walk-in-the-park.

In the meantime Niclas has been getting rather good at CVS-0back-office
history management (e.g. excalibur pool and excalibur thread 2.0).

Cheers, Stephen.

RE: reshuffling in merlin cvs this weekend

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stephen,