Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "happilymambo@netzero.net" <ha...@netzero.net> on 2014/03/22 16:13:56 UTC

Cannot open Apache OpenOffice 4.0.0

Suddenly, I can no longer open OpenOffice 4.0.0. Every time I try, I get the following error message:
soffice.bin - Application Error
        The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.
I thought I would just try downloading OpenOffice again, but I can't even find a download site that lists Windows XP as one of the operating systems.

Please let me know how I can get my OpenOffice for Windows XP working again. Thanks,

Daniel McKee

Re: Cannot open Apache OpenOffice 4.0.0

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 15:13:56 -0000, happilymambo@netzero.net <ha...@netzero.net> wrote:

> Suddenly, I can no longer open OpenOffice 4.0.0. Every time I try, I get the following error message:
> soffice.bin - Application Error
>         The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

look for soffice.bin or soffice.exe in the task manager's list of processes. one of them may be running after exit due to some error. if so, terminate it and try launching openoffice again.

also, the thread here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281698-45-application-failed-initialize-properly-0xc0000005

blames windows' data execution prevention for a similar error. you may try disabling it under system properties in control panel.