Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch> on 2001/11/28 16:04:41 UTC

Group "#-1" trips up new users... What to do?

Hasanuddin Tamir wrote:

> Gee, should Apache folks do something about the default Group in the conf?
> I think the group "nobody" is pretty standard across Unices?
> I have a bad memory, but I think I remember that nobody is used to be the
> default Group together with User nobody.

I just checked back of recent distros to see what we've been using for
Group before. The out-of-the-box httpd.conf has:

$ grep "^Group" apache*/conf/httpd.conf-dist
apache_1.3.9/conf/httpd.conf-dist:Group #-1
apache_1.3.12/conf/httpd.conf-dist:Group #-1
apache_1.3.14/conf/httpd.conf-dist:Group #-1
apache_1.3.17/conf/httpd.conf-dist:Group #-1
apache_1.3.19/conf/httpd.conf-dist:Group #-1
apache_1.3.22/conf/httpd.conf-dist:Group "#-1"

So all they did with 1.3.22 was put quotes around it... The reason seems
to be that without the quotes, the parser thinks the "#" means there's a
line-end comment and this is not supported.

I just re-compiled and installed 1.3.19 and, although httpd.conf-dist
has "Group #-1", when you install and it copies a new httpd.conf to the
installation directory, you get Group and User = nobody which works fine
on my system (Solaris 2.8).

When I do the same with 1.3.22, the installed httpd.conf has:

Group "#-1"

and I get the setgid error when I try to start.

Otherwise, the comments in the httpd.confs are the same.

I suspect there's a bug in the top-level Makefile in 1.3.22. In the
install-config target, there's a sed line which goes:

sed -e 's;Group #-1;Group $(conf_group);' \

where $(conf_group)=nobody. Because of the quotes in the new distro,
this doesn't match and the substitution doesn't get made.

How do we fix this?

Rgds,

owen Boyle.

Re: Group "#-1" trips up new users... What to do?

Posted by Hasanuddin Tamir <ha...@trabas.com>.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> wrote,

> Owen Boyle wrote:
> >
> > I suspect there's a bug in the top-level Makefile in 1.3.22. In the
> > install-config target, there's a sed line which goes:
> >
> > sed -e 's;Group #-1;Group $(conf_group);' \
> >
> > where $(conf_group)=nobody. Because of the quotes in the new distro,
> > this doesn't match and the substitution doesn't get made.
> >
> > How do we fix this?
>
> Done.  It will appear in the next release of Apache 1.3.*.
> With your name on it, Owen. :-)  Nice catch!

That's relief :-)
Thanks Owen, thanks Ken!

san
--
Trabas - http://www.trabas.com

Re: Group "#-1" trips up new users... What to do?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Owen Boyle wrote:

> I suspect there's a bug in the top-level Makefile in 1.3.22. In the
> install-config target, there's a sed line which goes:
>
> sed -e 's;Group #-1;Group $(conf_group);' \
>
> where $(conf_group)=nobody. Because of the quotes in the new distro,
> this doesn't match and the substitution doesn't get made.
>
> How do we fix this?

Done.  It will appear in the next release of Apache 1.3.*.
With your name on it, Owen. :-)  Nice catch!
--
#ken	P-)}