Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com> on 2009/07/09 12:22:53 UTC

Re: [OpenSocial] Progress on OpenSocial templates/proxied content/data pipelining in Shindig

Hey Lenny,

Sorry for the slow reply, in the future if you want a quicker
turn-around-time on Shindig related questions, please use the
shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org list which is where all the Shindig dev's
hang out (see
http://incubator.apache.org/shindig/community/getting-help.html for
details).

On to your question: Proxied content and Data-pipelinging are done if you
use the trunk version of PHP Shindig so you can use those right away. OS
Templating is mostly done, but is still missing some of the OSML tags
(os:name, os:PeopleSelector etc) and has a few small issues that still need
to be finished.. I expect that those will be done and production ready
inside of ~ a month though.

In general the iframe performance is actually pretty good, the downside of
the few extra requests is easily offset by the fact that the main page can
finish loading without having to wait for the gadget rendering and
sanitization to be done (which if you have quite a few gadgets, can be quite
time consuming). Especially if you put ever gadget on it's own domain
(wildcard dns and web server configuration so that you could do something
like app<app id>.mymodules.mydomain.com) you're not restricted to the 2
connections-per-domain limit, and everything can load in parallel without
suffering any latency hits.

Lastly, Yahoo had to be quite strict about what gadgets they do allow
(and/or the gadget devs had to do quite a bit of work) since while Caja is
an awesome technology, it's not a 100% at the point yet where it will work
perfectly with just any html / gadget.

You could however (Orkut does this) force gadgets to only use templating in
the profile view (which is easily done by stripping out all script, php
shindig has a filter for this btw) if it turns out that the latency hit is
to great.. but in general gadget devs prefer to have more functionality so
they can do more interesting things, so it might well be worth quantifying
the situation and see if it really is a problem first before going down that
path.

Hope that helps!

   -- Chris