Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/04 13:32:35 UTC

Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

Hi, I would like to update our Eclipse setup page[1] with additional info.  I
noticed that instead of using mvn eclipse:eclipse command (or the
-Psetup.eclipse parameter described on that page), there is an Eclipse menu
File -> Import -> General -> Maven Projects option (at least for Eclipse
IDEs that have the Maven plugin installed), which works just by choosing the
root directory of the CXF download.

As I can see, the advantage of importing CXF as standard Eclipse projects
(i.e., mvn eclipse:eclipse) over importing as a Maven project is that
IDE-builds, debugging and code-completion, etc. is not as good or even
available with the Maven project import option.  Also, the Eclipse's Maven
plugin apparently does not allow you to set MAVEN_OPTS parameters (it seems
to ignore the already set environment variable for it), causing
out-of-memory errors compared to running Maven from the command line.  Am I
largely correct here?

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://cxf.apache.org/setting-up-eclipse.html

Re: Using the Eclipse Maven plugin for CXF

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
An interesting question is why you get such poor service from the
existing mechanism.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
When you do the Import -> General -> Maven project when you have the m2eclipse
thing installed there are several disadvantages:

1) As you mentioned, things like PermGen and other flags in MAVEN_OPTS are
ignored.

2) m2eclipse actually runs "mvn", thus, the default profiles are used.   In
our case, that causes things like checkstyle and PMD to run whenever you
update anything.   I asked the m2eclipse team a few weeks ago for a place to
specify global profiles to activate (nochecks for us) to help that.  Without
that, it's REALLY slow.

3) Even though it runs checkstyle/pmd, it DOESN'T wire their configuration
into the eclipse builders/plugins.   Thus, you don't get the nice
checkstyle/pmd warnings while you edit code.

4) It also doesn't setup the warning levels and stuff that we kind of expect.
If you do the -Psetup.eclipse thing and import the projects, all of the CXF
projects should be completely warning free.   Very clean.   If you see a
warning, it's either something you did or something committed recently.

With 2.1.x/2.2, you really only need to run the -Psetup.eclipse thing once to
get the workspace setup and defaults in place.    After that, you can just
run "mvn eclipse:eclipse"    The setup.eclipse profile mostly just make sure
the checkstyle rules are installed into the workspace and sets the warning
levels and such.

Dan

On Thursday 04 December 2008 7:32:35 am Glen Mazza wrote:
> Hi, I would like to update our Eclipse setup page[1] with additional info.
> I noticed that instead of using mvn eclipse:eclipse command (or the
> -Psetup.eclipse parameter described on that page), there is an Eclipse menu
> File -> Import -> General -> Maven Projects option (at least for Eclipse
> IDEs that have the Maven plugin installed), which works just by choosing
> the root directory of the CXF download.
>
> As I can see, the advantage of importing CXF as standard Eclipse projects
> (i.e., mvn eclipse:eclipse) over importing as a Maven project is that
> IDE-builds, debugging and code-completion, etc. is not as good or even
> available with the Maven project import option.  Also, the Eclipse's Maven
> plugin apparently does not allow you to set MAVEN_OPTS parameters (it seems
> to ignore the already set environment variable for it), causing
> out-of-memory errors compared to running Maven from the command line.  Am I
> largely correct here?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen
>
> [1] http://cxf.apache.org/setting-up-eclipse.html