Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gregorics Tamás <ta...@mmcomputer.hu> on 2006/12/14 11:10:32 UTC

Upgraded SA, nothing works

Hi,

First, let me explain my situation in a bit more detail. I got the task
to manage a server, which is in chaotic state. It had several "owners"
in the past, none of them took care of it too well.

Now, they had trouble with the spam ammount lately, and after i checked
the SA version, it turned out to be an ancient one. I did install the
new one via the perl MCPAN method (had to instal digest:sha1 too).
checking with spamassasin --version shows the correct, new version
number. I'm not sure this was the proper way of upgrading from the
previous version, altough after doing an sh-learn -sync, it says
everything is working (with -D option).

Now, here is the funny stuff: SA is being called by amavisd-new. I'm not
too familiar with amavisd, and to tell you the truth i didn't find where
to specify the spamassassin binary location. I suppose it uses the path
variable. Anyway, after i restarted amavisd and postfix, the mail
delivery stopped working. To be more precise the logs said that postfix
DID receive in fact the mails, and it put in queue, but it wasn't able
to deliver them to the mboxes. This is what i found in the log, for a
test message i sent:
Dec 14 10:22:12 zeusz postfix/smtpd[18654]: 268B5888661:
client=removed[x.x.x.x]
Dec 14 10:22:12 zeusz postfix/cleanup[18634]: 268B5888661:
message-id=<45...@removed>
Dec 14 10:22:12 zeusz postfix/qmgr[18602]: 268B5888661:
from=<re...@removed>, size=1309, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Dec 14 10:29:55 zeusz postfix/qmgr[18602]: 268B5888661:
to=<re...@removed>, relay=none, delay=463, status=deferred (connect to
localhost[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused)

I dont know what could be the problem, but after uncommenting the
following line in amavis:
@bypass_spam_checks_acl  = qw( . );  # uncomment to DISABLE anti-spam code
and restarting it the message(s) got delivered without a problem (of
course, spam filtering did not occur ...)

Any ideas what could be the problem? Or at least where to look..?

Thanks,
Thomas.

Re: Upgraded SA, nothing works

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 11:10:32AM +0100, Gregorics Tamás wrote:
> > Now, here is the funny stuff: SA is being called by amavisd-new. I'm not
> > too familiar with amavisd, and to tell you the truth i didn't find where
> > to specify the spamassassin binary location. I suppose it uses the path
>
>You'll want to talk to the Amavis people about issues with using their
>stuff.
>
> > to=<re...@removed>, relay=none, delay=463, status=deferred (connect to
> > localhost[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused)
>
>I'd guess something isn't running.  If amavis connects to SA through
>spamc/spamd, perhaps you're not running spamd?

Right, looks like amavisd-new was stopped and not restarted. Amavisd-new
does not need spamd as it uses the Mail::SpamAssassin Perl module.

Gary V

Re: Upgraded SA, nothing works

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
A horse is a horse. A corpse, a corpse. -Mr Ed's epitaph.