Posted to user@ant.apache.org by lu...@tarso.net on 2003/03/04 00:04:50 UTC

Private Targets or Complicated Logic??

This may seem like a strange requirement but I am wondering if it is at all
possible to have a build.xml file with targets that are not permitted to be
executed directly, but only as dependancy targets. Or have more interesting
conditionals like so:

I have targets : a,b,c,d,e

c,d,e depends on a
c,e depends on a, b
b depends on a

if I want to build JUST a, then I have to build everything
if I want to build JUST b, then I have to build c and e but can use a prior
built version of a and d in this build
if I want to build JUST c, then I can do so by using a previous builds copy
of a and b because I guarantee no change by specifying just c
if I want to build JUST d, then I can do so by using a previous builds copy
of a because I guarantee no change by specifying just d
if i want to build JUST e, then I can do so by using a previous builds copy
of a because I guarantee no change by specifying just d

but if there is no prior a when trying to do JUST c,d or e, then I have to
build everything
and if there it no prior b then I can borrow a prior a ( if not specifyied
for a to be built ) but then I have to build c and e if I specified I'd like
JUST c, d or e.

things like this. Can ant handle this sort of logic or do I need to wrap ant
in something more robust?

Let me know

thanks