Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sebastian Höhn <se...@iig.uni-freiburg.de> on 2014/03/10 18:00:34 UTC

Possible issues with Endian in Checksum Algorithms?

Hello,

I installed Hadoop via BigTop on my IBM Power machines and hdfs keeps
giving me checksum errors.

I checked the name nodes, datanodes and everything is up and running. The
web interface via port 50070 can even display the file. The command line
tools always throw the checksum exception. Pig also throws the exception.

I was thinking about the problem and came up with an idea: I have compiled
the native code for my platform (it is ppc64, i.e. a Big-Endian
Architecture) and now I was thinking whether it is possible, that there are
issue with Big-Endian vs. Little-Endian in the code??

What is your opinion on that?

Best regards

Sebastian