Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Marx <si...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/01 20:40:41 UTC

ROOT.xml problem

I am using Tomcat 7 and wish to have my app open as the default page.

I have googled and basically found the following recommendation, but its not working.  Wondering what I am missing?

ROOT.xml code….

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Context
	docBase="corda.war"
	path="/corda"
	reloadable="true">

</Context>

…….

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Kevin Marx wrote:
> OK, so now, how is this working?  How to fix it?
>
> ROOT.xml is located in conf/Catalina/localhost
>
> File contents are thus:
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <Context
> 	docBase="C:\Corda\CenterView4\Server\corda\"
> 	reloadable="true"
> />
>
> in the browser I am entering http://localhost:8080
>
> the URL is comes up with is thus:
>
> http://localhost:8080/dashboards/welcome/main.dashxml

What do you mean by "it comes up with" ? who ? where ? how ? what ?

> However it should be:
>
> http://localhost:8080/corda/dashboards/welcome/main.dashxml
>
> This URL will work when entered.  The /corda is necessary

why ? if that application was correctly designed, it shouldn't be.
It means that somewhere in that application, there is a harcoded "/corda/" prefix
pre-pended to URLs.

> Why is the /corda missing from the URL?  What needs to be in the ROOT.xml file to make it show up?

We don't know what that application is doing inside.
All we can tell you here, is that if the application used only relative URLs (which is the
cleanest design), then it shouldn't matter if it was moved around here or there.

I believe that you are looking at this the wrong way.  You seem to expect the container to
be able to override everything that the application specifies.  It cannot; or maybe it
can, but it is likely to be hard work, re-rewriting URLs all over.

The application seems to work fine when it is installed in "../webapps/corda/", and
accessed with URLs starting with "/corda". Fine.

Now /you/ would like it instead to be the default application, and to be able to drop that
"/corda" prefix.  You have asked how to do that, and have done it.  And it should work.

That is, it should work as long as the application's pages themselves don't fight this all
the way.  If you access the application's main page, and it returns a page in which there
is a link with an absolute URL starting with "/xyz/*", (or starting with nothing when it
should be "/xyz/"), then that is /the application's doing/, not the container's.  The
container code, by itself, does not scan every page that the application is returning to
check if there is a URL inside there that should or should not have some prefix, and
change it.

I believe that you should go back to the creators of that application, tell them what you
have done, tell them that it is not working as you expect, and ask /them/ why.

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 03/06/2012 14:20, Stefan Mayr wrote:

> So you have a third-party app which needs to be called in the /corda
> context. There seems no way to make it accessible as ROOT applications.
>
> I think you just need a redirect pointing to your applications location.
>
> Steps:
> 1. remove everything you did to make it work as ROOT; back to the
> working /corda version
> 2. Create a redirect in your ROOT context

@Kevin /you/ asked us how to remove the '/corda' bit of the URL.

Like Stefan says, if you need that, then go back to how you had the app
before.

[key:62590808]

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Stefan Mayr <st...@mayr-stefan.de>.
Am 03.06.2012 09:17, schrieb Kevin Marx:
> OK, so now, how is this working?  How to fix it?
>
> ROOT.xml is located in conf/Catalina/localhost
>
> File contents are thus:
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <Context
> 	docBase="C:\Corda\CenterView4\Server\corda\"
> 	reloadable="true"
> />
>
> in the browser I am entering http://localhost:8080
>
> the URL is comes up with is thus:
>
> http://localhost:8080/dashboards/welcome/main.dashxml
>
> However it should be:
>
> http://localhost:8080/corda/dashboards/welcome/main.dashxml
>
> This URL will work when entered.  The /corda is necessary
>
> Why is the /corda missing from the URL?  What needs to be in the ROOT.xml file to make it show up?

So you have a third-party app which needs to be called in the /corda
context. There seems no way to make it accessible as ROOT applications.

I think you just need a redirect pointing to your applications location.

Steps:
1. remove everything you did to make it work as ROOT; back to the
working /corda version
2. Create a redirect in your ROOT context

Options to make no. 2 work:
create webapps/ROOT/index.jsp with content
<%
     response.sendRedirect("http://yourhostname:8080/corda/");
%>

or a simple html-only version index.html:
<head>
       content="0; URL=/corda/">
<head>

hope this fulfills your needs

	Stefan

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 01/06/2012 22:22, Kevin Marx wrote:

> I know there is a way to do this without renaming things to ROOT, that's what I'm looking for.

Why make your life so difficult, what's wrong with just calling it
ROOT.war?  </baffled>

If you're really desperate to see that it's called 'corda', call the
app: ROOT##corda.war

RE: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Kevin Marx [mailto:simplyfemales@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: ROOT.xml problem

> ROOT.xml located in /conf/Catalina/localhost

> <Context
>        docBase="C:\Corda\CenterView4\Server\corda"
>        path=""
>        reloadable="true"
> />

As you've been told before, remove the path attribute; it's not allowed here.

> http://localhost:8080 entered on a browser
> "Lost session info before entering the auth filter" shown as result

Shown where?  That's not a message Tomcat displays, so it may well be coming from your webapp.

 - Chuck

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Kevin Marx <si...@gmail.com>.
OK, response to last two (Thomas and Charles)

ROOT.xml (understood the case matters comment, it is capitals ROOT.xml)

removed the path=""

contents now are:

<Context
       docBase="C:\Corda\CenterView4\Server\corda"
       reloadable="true"
/>

Same message showing in the browser (Lost session info……………..)

When the /corda folder is located within the /webapps folder, I can use the URL localhost/corda and everything works fine so I am assuming the app is ok.  I just checked with the vendor for the webapp and they indicated that it should be able to exist outside the /webapps folder.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 01/06/2012 22:53, Kevin Marx wrote:
> OK… here's what I've done.
>
> ROOT.xml located in /conf/Catalina/localhost
>
> contents of Root.xml

Case matters. Which is it?

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Kevin Marx <si...@gmail.com>.
OK… here's what I've done.

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Kevin Marx <si...@gmail.com>.
The ROOT.xml file is in the Catalina/localhost folder

Renaming the folder didn't work BTW.

I have the /corda folder located in the /webapps folder

I'd like the /corda to be the default app

when I don't have the ROOT.xml file, I can go to the browser and enter http://localhost/corda and everything works fine

I'd like it to work so that when I enter http://localhost I get the corda as the default. (without having to use the /corda in the URL)

I know there is a way to do this without renaming things to ROOT, that's what I'm looking for.  How do I set up the ROOT.xml file so that it makes the /corda the default rather than /ROOT as the default?

Kevin

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: ROOT.xml problem

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/6/1 Kevin Marx <si...@gmail.com>:
> I am using Tomcat 7 and wish to have my app open as the default page.
>
> I have googled and basically found the following recommendation, but its not working.  Wondering what I am missing?
>
> ROOT.xml code….
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>
> <Context
>        docBase="corda.war"
>        path="/corda"
>        reloadable="true">
>
> </Context>

Just rename "corda.war" to "ROOT.war". That is all.

Note, that it is in the FAQ,
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_make_my_web_application_be_the_Tomcat_default_application.3F