Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> on 2015/05/01 05:55:51 UTC

Re: GSoC 2015

Hi Pranavan,

Please find the answers inline,

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:49 AM, Pranavan Theivendiram <
pranavan.11@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:

> Hi Lahiru,
>
> After going through the moving average mechanisms, I found that it has two
> main categories which are
>  1. Simple moving average
>  2. Exponential moving average
> Simple moving average means as the name implies it simply calculate the
> moving average without considering the time of the forecast but in the
> exponential moving average mechanism, it consider about the time of the
> forecast so that it adds a weight to the forecast before calculating it.
> AFAIK in the autoscaler, all the data are equally important so that we can
> go with the simple moving average mechanism. Please correct me if I am
> wrong.

IMO exponential moving average suites better here. It is better to weight
the latest values rather than giveing same weight to old data.

> During the study I also understood main purpose of the moving average
> mechanism is to remove the noises in the data. So that I think, if we can
> combine both moving average and curve fitting mechanisms to improve the
> autoscaler prediction., i.e after calculating the moving average values, by
> using those values we can calculate possible equation for those values
> using curve fitting.

Yes. Finding the curve after smoothing with exponentially weighted moving
average would be good. [1] is explaining something similar.

Thanks.

[1]
http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/9931/exponentially-weighted-moving-linear-regression

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Pranavan Theivendiram <pr...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Hi Lahiru,

Yes. I am following it.

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Pranvan,

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Pranavan Theivendiram <pr...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Hi Lahiru and Raj,

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Rajkumar Rajaratnam <ra...@wso2.com>.

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Pranavan Theivendiram <pr...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Hi Lahiru and Raj,

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Pranavan,

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Pranavan Theivendiram <pr...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Hi Lahiru and Raj,

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Good work Pranavan.

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.

Re: GSoC 2015

Re: GSoC 2015

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Pranvan,

Could you please update the progress of the project for the knowledge of
community?

Thanks.