Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org> on 2015/11/24 21:11:25 UTC

OSGi integration ready for review

Hello all,

The initial OSGi integration is ready for review in branch ignite-1270.
Features included:

* OSGi manifest for most modules. I could OSGi-fy 22 modules. Some are left
out due to complexity or not supporting OSGi: hadoop, mesos, cloud, gce,
yarn, etc.
* Karaf features repository with 1 feature per module + a global ignite-all
feature. Each feature installs the required dependencies into the container.
* Ignite OSGi Bundle Activator which activates an Ignite OSGi configuration
and injects the appropriate OSGi-friendly classloader.
* Two classloading strategies for OSGi:
    * Bundle Delegating => attempts to find the class in the bundle that
loaded Ignite, falling back to ignite-core.
    * Container Sweep => same as above, but sweeps the entire OSGi
container for the first hit as the ultimate fallback (keeps a cache).

(@Romain – the latter should work for you).

Since generating the Karaf features repo (features.xml) requires including
version numbers of the 3rd party deps, I have promoted the version numbers
I needed to parent/pom.xml as Maven properties. This is also a Maven best
practice.

In this branch, IGNITE-1810 is also included. I was able to test it locally
only, given that the CI test job is broken in TeamCity.

Note: Spring configuration of Ignite is not supported due to Spring DM
1.2.1 not being compatible with Spring Framework 4.x anymore. This is being
discussed at the SMX community [1]. For now, we only support programmatic
configuration.

As you know, I created a user guide section for OSGi in the 1.5 docs [2].

I'd like this feature to target 1.5. It does modify existing Ignite
codebase, so it should be pretty safe to release.

[1]
http://servicemix.396122.n5.nabble.com/Spring-DM-for-Spring-4-in-SMX-Karaf-td5723130.html
[2] https://dash.readme.io/project/apacheignite/v1.5

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer
http://about.me/raulkripalani | http://www.linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani
http://blog.raulkr.net | twitter: @raulvk

Re: OSGi integration ready for review

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>
wrote:

> - Can you please explain what is broken with CI? We should fix it.

Someone from GridGain was looking into it. I provided my suggestions to fix
the build. Can't remember what happened after.

> - What do we need to do from Ignite standpoint to support Spring XML
> configuration?

Once the SMX team provides a Spring DM distribution compatible with Spring
4.x, we'll just implement the logic in the
IgniteAbstractOsgiContextActivator to start Ignite from an XML.

Regards,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Thanks Raul!

I have a couple of questions:

- Can you please explain what is broken with CI? We should fix it.
- What do we need to do from Ignite standpoint to support Spring XML
configuration?

D.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Romain Gilles <ro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some times maven-bundle-plugin can have side effect on
> split package but I hope Raul has already checked it.

Not sure which side effect you mean. But anyway, the maven-bundle-plugin
has several goals. There is a goal to delegate packaging to the plugin by
using the "bundle" packaging, but I have not used that.
We just invoke the manifest goal of the plugin to generate the MANIFEST.MF,
and then we package the manifest into the JAR.

The only things I mention to Raul is to double check that the user class
> loader (here Raul provide an OSGi aware user classloader) is used every
> where in the serialization process:
>  - Binary marshaller (new)
>  - Optimized marshaller (old)

Correct. It was my reading of the source code that the user-set classloader
(Ignite#setClassLoader) was not used in some cases (IGNITE-1930). But
during my tests where I used the default marshaller with 1.5.0 (Binary
Marshaller – Romain sorry for the confusion in Skype), I faced no issues
for basic use cases. However, creating unit tests for OSGi is not a simple
task and that's why I'd like to release this out to the public, so that
everyone who's interested in OSGi can give it a spin with their use cases.
As I said in IGNITE-1930, the usage of classloaders inside Ignite is choppy
and should be improved to ensure that the user-set classloader is always
used if set.

We can declare OSGi functionality as "preview" – that would make me, and
probably others, comfortable.

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.
Raul, I did review as well. I added my comments to the ticket and committed
some changes to ignite-1270.

Given that this feature is desperately desired, can we merge it to 1.5? To
do that you can squash all the differences between 1270 and master and pick
that commit to ignite-1.5. If someone knows better way to do this, please
let us know.

I think 1.5-final can be released in 2 weeks, i.e. around Dec, 18.

--Yakov

Posted by Romain Gilles <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igniters,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.