Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2003/04/01 10:53:28 UTC

[OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
(http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding problems
by using a strictly restricted character set.

Tools are not yet available for all platforms but they're working on
it, and this time of the year seems to be a fruitful one for their team.

Also, Whitespace, as mentioned on its homepage, is particularly well
suited to literate programming.
As they say, just writing helpful comments in between the Whitespace
instructions does the job - this might be very helpful in improving our
documentation.

Anyway, this requires more thought before diving deep into the project,
but I really feel that porting Cocoon to Whitespace is A Project For
Today...

-Bertrand

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
> (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
> Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding
> problems by using a strictly restricted character set.
>
> Tools are not yet available for all platforms but they're working on
> it, and this time of the year seems to be a fruitful one for their team.
>
> Also, Whitespace, as mentioned on its homepage, is particularly well
> suited to literate programming.
> As they say, just writing helpful comments in between the Whitespace
> instructions does the job - this might be very helpful in improving
> our documentation.
>
> Anyway, this requires more thought before diving deep into the
> project, but I really feel that porting Cocoon to Whitespace is A
> Project For Today...

Definitely a cool language : the tutorial [1] shows how easy and
powerful it is ;-P

Sylvain

[1] http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/tutorial.php

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 1/04/2003 10:53 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
> (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
> Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding problems
> by using a strictly restricted character set.

Is NEL (#x85) included in this restricted character set? Porting the
Whitespace Cocoon port to IBM mainframes could be troublesome otherwise.

Good one, Bertrand ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Jakob Praher <jp...@yahoo.de>.
Am Die, 2003-04-01 um 10.53 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
> (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
> Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding problems
> by using a strictly restricted character set.

hehe kind a like the idea ;-) (just reminds me little bit of smalltalk
ideas - the sentence is the expression boundary ).

Allthough I must confess I find it easer learning yet another "non
whitespace oriented" language, as I am so accustomed to this :

Expr
  := Designator['(' Args ')' ] = Expr ';'
  | 'while' '(' ...
and so on.

but I think once you have gained momentum over the syntax it can be
quite funny.

As of whitespace ignorance of most editors (using either tab or spaces),
keeping this sources file in "good scape" can be a real nightmare,
imagine some bad editor replaces the tabs by 4 spaces .... ;-)

> Anyway, this requires more thought before diving deep into the project,
> but I really feel that porting Cocoon to Whitespace is A Project For
> Today...

Would you like to port just the flow part, or cocoon in total?
Sounds of much work to do ;-)

anyway thanks for this interesting language project ;-)

-- Jakob

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
> (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
> Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding problems
> by using a strictly restricted character set.
>
> Tools are not yet available for all platforms but they're working on it,
> and this time of the year seems to be a fruitful one for their team.
>
> Also, Whitespace, as mentioned on its homepage, is particularly well
> suited to literate programming.
> As they say, just writing helpful comments in between the Whitespace
> instructions does the job - this might be very helpful in improving our
> documentation.
>
> Anyway, this requires more thought before diving deep into the project,
> but I really feel that porting Cocoon to Whitespace is A Project For
> Today...

ahahah :)

Funny, Bertrand, very funny :)

Stefano.

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

    Bertrand> Anyway, this requires more thought before diving deep
    Bertrand> into the project, but I really feel that porting Cocoon
    Bertrand> to Whitespace is A Project For Today...

:-)

Well you'd better hurry up and do it then. Not many hours left!
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
> (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
> Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding problems
> by using a strictly restricted character set.
>
> Tools are not yet available for all platforms but they're working on
> it, and this time of the year seems to be a fruitful one for their team.
>
> Also, Whitespace, as mentioned on its homepage, is particularly well
> suited to literate programming.
> As they say, just writing helpful comments in between the Whitespace
> instructions does the job - this might be very helpful in improving our
> documentation.
>
> Anyway, this requires more thought before diving deep into the project,
> but I really feel that porting Cocoon to Whitespace is A Project For
> Today...

WTF! That reminds of Brainfuck(http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/bf/).

;-) Stephan.

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

    Diana> Do other countries besides the US celebrate a pranks/joke

Yes.

    Diana> day like today, April 1? Or are we the only fools? ;-)

and yes. :-)
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "Diana Shannon" <sh...@apache.org>
> On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 03:53  AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to think that porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language
> > (http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) could bring a lot of benefits.
> > Apparently this language allows one to get rid of all encoding problems
> > by using a strictly restricted character set.
>
> Do other countries besides the US celebrate a pranks/joke day like
> today, April 1? Or are we the only fools? ;-)

I've asked this same question our british colleague today (It was: do you
celebreate April 1st in UK like in Russia) ;)

Diana, you should have known that we in Russia also have it, shouldn't you?

Konstantin

Posted by Denis <de...@aic-info.com>.
by asking to one of the beasts:

"If you were the other beast, what would you answer if I asked you 'Are you
in front of the longevity gateway?' "

Then you'll know which door to choose ;-)

PS: sorry for my english, it's not perfect ...

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Christopher Watson <c....@zen.co.uk>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
At 08:27 AM 4/1/2003, you wrote:
>Le Mardi, 1 avr 2003, à 15:14 Europe/Zurich, Geoff Howard a écrit :
>
>>...Comment dit-on "April fish" en Francais?
>Well I don't know if this a recursive April's fools joke but I'm a
>courageous boy so:
>Poisson d'avril!
>
>-Bertrand

That scared me for a minute, but I found some Poisson d'Avril sites.

Relieved,
Geoff

Re: [OT] Porting Cocoon to the Whitespace language?

Posted by Denis <de...@aic-info.com>.
You mainly have to say it loudly ;-))

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.