Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Shiyuan <gs...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/15 21:53:38 UTC

global-ignores

Hi,
I want svn to ignore a certain files and I set up

global-ignores = *.s *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.s *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc
*.pyo  *.rej

However, it doesn't seem to work. svn ci and svn update still check in or
overwrite those files. What else do I need to setup?

I also want svn to ignore all executable files. How can I specify it in
global-ignores?

Thanks.

Re: global-ignores

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 15:53, Shiyuan <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want svn to ignore a certain files and I set up
>
> global-ignores = *.s *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.s *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc
> *.pyo  *.rej
>
> However, it doesn't seem to work. svn ci and svn update still check in or
> overwrite those files. What else do I need to setup?
>
> I also want svn to ignore all executable files. How can I specify it in
> global-ignores?

If the files are already in the repository, they will not be ignored.

If you explicitly add them, the ignores may be ignored.

Re: global-ignores

Posted by David Chapman <dc...@acm.org>.
On 4/15/2011 12:53 PM, Shiyuan wrote:
> Hi,
> I want svn to ignore a certain files and I set up
>
> global-ignores = *.s *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.s *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a
> *.pyc *.pyo  *.rej
>
> However, it doesn't seem to work. svn ci and svn update still check in
> or overwrite those files. What else do I need to setup?
>
> I also want svn to ignore all executable files. How can I specify it
> in global-ignores?
>
> Thanks.

global-ignores is for candidates to be added to the repository.  It does
not affect objects already in the repository, such as what you have
now.  You'll need to remove them from the repository where appropriate.
After that they won't be added automatically.

I don't know of a way to ignore executable files under Linux etc.; under
Windows "*.exe" works fine.  I'm guessing you want to ignore build
targets, but simply testing the executable bit will also exclude shell
scripts, which you may well want to consider for automatic adding to the
repository.

--
     David Chapman         dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA