Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Zander <ma...@email.com> on 2002/09/04 21:34:34 UTC

[users@httpd] FPSE Authentication

Hello All,

I am running Apache 1.3.20 on Solaris 8 attempting to use FrontPage Server Extensions 2002 Version 5.0. I am also using an AuthLDAP module for LDAP authentication.

Everything at a very basic level works OK. When I try to apply directory security on the document root directory Front Page will not allow admins to log in.

Out security is such that if you are trying to access from a certain number of hosts or domains you should automatically be let in. If not, then it should prompt you for a username/password and then, based on your group, let you in.

OK, to do that I need to have statements such as:
 Satisfy any
 Order allow,deny
 Allow from blah-blah.com
 Allow from 192.168.100.1
 Deny from this-host.blah-blah.com
 AuthType Basic
 AuthName "Cool Auth Name Here"
 AuthLDAPURL ldap://ldap.blah-blah.com:389.....
 require group access-group

That all works OK - if you don't take FrontPage into consideration. As soon as I put in the "Satisy any" switch, FrontPage admin access stops working. When I load the admin page, it prompts for username and password. I get into the main admin page and then try the Virtual Server admin page. The username and password prompt comes up, but with the Realm of "/" - not what it should be (it should be the server name). No username or password I know works.

When I turn off the "Satisfy any" switch, everything works OK as far as FrontPage is concerned. The Realm is correct. It accepts the username and password. But then my directory security doesn't work.

Does this make sense? Has anybody else had a similar problem? Does anybody know a workaround or a fix?

Thanks!!

Mark