Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Matthias Kerkhoff <ma...@BESToffers.de> on 2000/09/16 12:36:27 UTC

HowTo: Display a standby page/message for lenghty actions

Hi all,

I have some lengthy actions (triggered by form submission)
and would like to display a standby message (or page) to the
user. Could someone give me a hint how I should do this with
Struts ?

--
Matthias                          mailto:make@BESToffers.de

Re[2]: HowTo: Display a standby page/message for lenghty actions

Posted by Matthias Kerkhoff <ma...@BESToffers.de>.
Hi Chris,

> please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this is accomplished in the
> following manor:

> [...]

Thank you for your quick response.

--
Matthias                        (mailto:make@BESToffers.de)

RE: HowTo: Display a standby page/message for lenghty actions

Posted by Chris Wilson <wo...@email.com>.
please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this is accomplished in the
following manor:

you submit to, or go directly to a simple page that displays your
"processing..." message.  that page has a meta refresh tag (or it could even
be javascript for that matter) that redirects to the page/servlet that
actually does the work (search, lookup, processing, etc.).  the important
thing is that you don't want the work page/servlet to send any content to
the browser until it's done processing.  basically, you want to buffer the
output or simply not send anything until it's done.  the moment that output
is sent back from the server, your processing page will go away and the
results will be displayed.  this works because the browser still shows the
processing page (even though you've told it to go somewhere else) until it
gets content from the work page.

hope that makes sense...  :)

cheerio,
chris