Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ally Hume <a....@epcc.ed.ac.uk> on 2005/12/19 18:06:17 UTC

Empty SOAP body when I add an attachment problem

Hi,

Axis 1.2

I have a web service operation that returns an object which is
successfully serialized and returned in the body of the SOAP message.

I now want to allow this operation to also include an attachment in
the response.  So I have added code like the following:

  MessageContext context = MessageContext.getCurrentContext();
  Message responseMessage = context.getResponseMessage();
  AttachmentPart ap = responseMessage.createAttachmentPart();
  ap.setContent("MyData", "text/plain");
  responseMessage.addAttachmentPart(ap);

This successfully adds an attachment to the response but whenever I do
this the object that is returned by my method no longer appears
serialized in the SOAP body - instead the body is empty (see example
below).

Is there a vital stage I am missing?   I start from the WSDL and use
wsdl2java to generate the interfaces we program against.  I have not
changed the WSDL at all.  I have only added the above code and added
the activation.jar and mailapi.jar jar files to the axis lib
directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ally Hume

----

Example of response with empty SOAP body in case this includes any
clues:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:53:39 GMT

Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Connection: close

------=_Part_0_4301103.1135004018807

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><soapenv:Body/><
/soapenv:Envelope>

------=_Part_0_4301103.1135004018807

AllyTest

------=_Part_0_4301103.1135004018807--

Ally Hume
Principal Consultant
EPCC, University of Edinburgh
James Clerk Maxwell Building
Mayfield Road                 E-mail: a.hume@epcc.ed.ac.uk
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ            Phone:  + 44 (0) 131 651 3397
United Kingdom                Fax:    + 44 (0) 131 650 6555