Posted to dev@empire-db.apache.org by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> on 2009/03/25 21:35:32 UTC

Review of release assembly

Hi Francis,

again I ran out of time and only had the chance to take a quick look at the empire-db-2.0.5-SNAPSHOT.
These are my first findings:

1. The name of the archive must be "apache-empire-db-2.0.5-incubating.zip" (or .tar.gz respectively)

2. The root directory must contain the README.TXT with the Apache disclaimer, the LICENSE.TXT containing the Apache License and the NOTICE.TXT. If we decide to provide the hsqldb.jar we would also need to supply the LICENSE-HSQLDB.txt. Without those files supplied in the root directory we will not be able to get the approval of the community. I would appreciate to also have the tutorial.pdf there. Don't know where to supply the changelog (expecially if we distribute core and struts2-ext together)

3. I was surprised to find that the size of the archive was 19,3 MB. The reason was soon discovered: The file empire-db-example-struts2-cxf-2.0.5-SNAPSHOT.war in the lib directory has 13,2 MB on its own. I don't think it makes sense to include the compiled examples. I would prefer only to provide the empire-db-2.0.5.jar and the empire-db-struts2-2.0.5.jar (without the "SNAPSHOT").

4. I was unable to find the javadoc. Is Javadoc generation missing in the maven build?

5. Due to the missing dependencies and project files it is virtually impossible for someone who is not familiar with Maven to run any of the sample applications. Shouldn't we give a clue how to best set things up with Maven and maybe even how to live without?

Question: Can you fix issues 1 - 4 easily?

Thanks and best regards

Rainer

Re: Review of release assembly

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
I'll have a look at these issues when my pc is up and running again
(I'm upgrading my hd to a ssd)
But I think all issues can be fixed. Do we realy need to include
javadoc as those are available in the maven repo an can be linked to
from the site?

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Review of release assembly

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
> Concering the SNAPSHOT extension on our jars I have a question
> (probably best answered by the mentors): The jars are in the archive
> that we put up for voting. If the vote succeeds, is it acceptable to
> remove the extension or would it be better to remove the extension
> beforehand? (Personally I would do the latter).

I am more comfortable with the second option, but I'd accept the first
method.

    Regards,

       Thomas

Re: Building the release assembly

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Well I've been quite busy lately but Tuesday evening I will try to get
the remaining fixes done.

Do we want a rc1, rc2, ... path or do we go directly to a full release?

Francis

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Building the release assembly

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Rainer,

I tried to fix the remaining issues (eg using release.sh now builds a
distribution including javadoc) but there might still be some issues
left.

Let me know what else needs to be done.

--
http://www.somatik.be

Building the release assembly

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

agreed that we should not make the release in a rush. If you need more time, no problem.
But I think we're feature complete and we now need something that we can discuss about.
You will find that people are much more willing to give their opinion, once there is a release candiate up for voting.
That's the main reason I want to go ahead so quickly.
It is very likely that people will suggest changes then.

more comments see below:

> Re: Building the release assembly
> > But I have another issue concering the naming of the empire-struts2-ext:
> > I have delibertately chosen the name not to include the -db since there is no database functionaltiy in there. The package namespace reflects this as well. Hence the name of the jar should be empire-struts2-ext-xxx.jar (with xxx standing for the version string).
> > The same applies to the Maven artifact id which should be empire-struts2-ext.
> > Ideally this should also apply to the project name but this would probably be too much hassle to change now.
>
> I don't agree here, the project is empire-db, or not? Otherwise I
> would call everyting empire-...
> The struts-2 extensions are the extensions for using struts2 with
> empire-db, what does empire without -db stand for?

Please look at all the package namespace names in both the empire-db and the empire-struts2-ext projects.
They should give you a clue what the intention was.
All I am saying is that the jar names should reflect this.
There is always room for extentions above the db level.
I know it's a matter of taste, but I rather want to stick roughly to what we did in our previous release.

> > Also the version string should only be <version>2.0.5-SNAPSHOT</version> (personally I would even remove the SNAPSHOT). I could change this myself, but they are your files and I better ask beforehand.
> > Concering the naming I would suggest to stick to the naming of our previous release (see http://incubator.apache.org/empire-db/downloads/downloads.htm).
>
> SNAPSHOT is a maven convention, there is no way around it. As release
> won't be called SNAPSHOT I don't see no problem. SNAPSHOT is the maven
> way to indicate a version between two releases.

Sorry if you misunderstood me here. I have no problem with the SNAPSHOT, apart from the thing that we discussed last time, that we'd have to rebuild the assembly once it has been accepted by the incubator PMC. But it is not necessary, that the jars contain the incubating. So e.g. empire-db-2.0.5-SNAPSHOT.jar is fine for me. But the incubating must be part of the release assembly name.

> I'm still for the easy (kiss) solution that most apache projects use.
> Have the project name definded (empire or empire-db), all modules have
> the same version and are called [empire name]-[module].

Yes, I am a big KISS fan too, except that I didn't like their make-up (joking).
I like to phrase to keep it as simple as possible but as complex as necessary.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.somatik.be

Building the release assembly

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

It seems that you have not yet changed the assembly generation to adapt to the changes we have discussed last Sunday (see below).

As you have already seen I have added a file that shows which dependencies are required to build the empire-struts2-ext under empire-db-struts2\src\main\resources. The dependencies listed in there are the minimum requirement to build the empire-struts2-ext jar.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Thanks Francis.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
>> Another question to Francis:
>> When I tried to run the struts2 samples I had another problem. When I chose "Debug on Server" for the empire-db-example-struts2 (using Tomcat 5.5.) I get the following error in the log:
>>  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/xml/DOMConfigurator
>> For some reason log4j is not published to the WEB-INF/lib directory although it seems to be correctly specified as a maven dependency. Do you have any idea why other maven depedencies are copyied and this one is not?
>
> i'll fix this

I added log4j in the struts2 example dependencies

the struts2-cxf example seems to be using slf4j-jdk logging, I suppose
it needs log4j as well (might be better to use slf4j-log4j then)?

>> On the other hand the servlet-api-2.4.jar and jsp-api-2.0.jar are published although they should not.
>> (Personally I am using the sysdeo tomcat plugin with which the examples run fine when configured correctly)
>
> i should be able to fix this as well

this depends on the scope of the dependency: see
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Dependency_Scope
fixed, put them to scope "provided" (in parent pom dep management)

please check if both are ok now

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Review of release assembly

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Review of release assembly

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hello everyone,

Regarding our upcoming release I have had a look at apache-cxf-2.2 and myfaces-core-1.2.6 and apache-wicket-1.4.rc2. All three seem to provide a considerably different layout.
Where cxf and myfaces seem to supply all required dependencies, wicket seems not.
There are many more differences on the archive structure and the contents.
However all distributions supply the javadoc.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
>> 4. I was unable to find the javadoc. Is Javadoc generation missing in the maven build?
>
> I'll fix this when I got some more time left

this one is fixed

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Review of release assembly