Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com> on 2016/08/27 10:42:52 UTC

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 locks in Enlightenment 0.21.99.21605

Niltze [Hello], all!

I've noticed that Enlightenment 0.17.x.y and 0.21.x.y GUI environment
sometimes becomes locked upon mousing over icons in Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2.

Notwithstanding, when I built Enlightenment 0.19.x.y and 0.20.xy, the
locking issue disappeared and I thought it was resolved; but then issue
reappeared once more in Enlightenment 0.21.x.y. I have to CTRL + ALT and
press F1, F2, etc. to get another shell, login and restart XDM.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it

Re: [E-devel] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 locks in Enlightenment 0.21.99.21605

Posted by Pau Espin Pedrol <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Recently I also noticed that E hanged (no more graphic interaction or
refreshed) a few times randomly while opening a link menu in firefox by
right-clicking on a link. I think it is more probable to hit the issue if
the page is heavy and is still finishing loading.

I guess it may be the same issue.

I'm using enlightenment-0.20.10-1 and efl-1.17.2-1 from Archlinux
Graphic card (lspci): Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 0b)
xf86-video-intel is not installed, so I guess I'm using generic KMS.

Regards,
Pau Espin Pedrol

Posted by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com>.
Howdy, Carsten-

As I was testing my build of ApacheOO 4.1.3, Enlightenment
0.21.99.21628 lock occurred again

< https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuDUW33VIAA9ChB.jpg:large >

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ra...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 04:22:00 -0700 Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com> said:
>
>> Thanks for replying.
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 11:27 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ra...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote:

>> > is e stuck - has it crashed? do you get a crashdump?
>> E21 must be 'stuck' -- as I can't locate a 'crashdump'.
>>
>> Please see pic at:
>> <
>> https://metztli.it/blog/media/blogs/ixiptli/quick-uploads/p125/e21_apacheoo_issue.png?mtime=1472553272
>> >

>> > https://www.enlightenment.org/docs-efl-debug
>> I will try this as time avails. Thank you.
>> >
>> > you can also find if it isnt crashing by forcing a segv and seeing where
>> > the bt says it was stuck:
>> >
>> > killall -SEGV enlightenment
>> I have executed above directive and Recovery option seems useful -- as
>> I don't have to restart XDM, thus potentially preserving existing
>> sessions and/or data/work; again, please snapshot above and if
>> interested for context, post entry:
>> <
>> https://metztli.it/blog/index.php/ixiptli/eterm-and-enlightenment-window-manager
>> >

> so when you sent a SEGV to enlightenment... after that did you have
> ~/.e-crashdump.txt ? because you now FORCED it to crash, thus a crashdump
> should be produced. this may not work if yama ptrace is enabled.

e-crashdump_10-05-2016.txt attached below with latest crash at the end of file.

> sudo sysctl -w kernel.yama.ptrace_scope=0
>

> will turn that off. you need gdb installed too. also when compiling e and efl
> you need your CFFLAGS to contain "-g" to enable gdb debug symbols of course.
>
> export CFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=native -fvisibility=hidden -ffast-math"
>
> for example before you compile.
>
> remember - e APPENDS to the crashdump file every crash, so the most recent
> crash is the last bt set - grep for "pause" to find the crash points. :)
>
> so crashdump file after this? that'll tell use what's up. hopefully. or give us
> another thing to follow.
>
> p.s.
>
> btw - why eterm? eterm is fine and all but its an old old old school terminal
> still using xlib directly etc. terminology is the modern terminal that uses efl
> et. (runs even on OSX too) that has real bells and whistles (videos in the bg,
> inline image display, tabs AND splits etc.)? and it does PROPER transparency -
> no "esetroot" with fake "lets copy parts of the background pixmap into app
> window to make it look transparent but only with a wallpaper".

Apropos, I am also using Terminology ... with non-critical OS tasks:
Once upon a time, I had 5 concurrent Terminology tabs where one was
doing a Debian upgrade, the other 4 tabs I was doing some other tasks.
I switched tab to check on the OS upgrade status - and glimpsed a GUI
dialog prompting for something and then it disappeared into the
blackness of Terminology background. I had to CTRL + C to snap out of
the unintelligible prompt and ended up interrupting libc6 upgrade. I
had to reinstall OS ;-)

[...
]> --
> The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster@rasterman.com

Anyhow, I just want Apache OpenOffice to be viable under
Enlightenment. Thank you in advance for your insight, Carsten.

Best Professional Regards.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
[BCC to AOO dev list]

Please remove dev@openoffice.apache.org from these messages.  The discussion seems to have little to do with Apache OpenOffice and there appears to be nothing that the project can contribute with respect to this issue.

If that is not the case, please open a bugzilla issue about it on the Apache OpenOffice project.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)" <ra...@rasterman.com>.

Posted by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com>.
Thanks for replying.