Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Wood <Er...@irondata.com> on 2015/05/15 15:56:02 UTC

tomcat7 PID file and status check

I trying to find a service script (init.d) that I can use to start, stop, and check status of my tomcat7 instances.  We run multiple instances of tomcat of a single server. I have found scripts out that where the status call checks the ps table to get the pid to determine the status.

I thought that tomcat wrote out a .pid file into the file system, but I do not see it in my tomcat instance folder structure. What is the proper way to manage the pid ... do I get it from the process table via ps or do I write it out to the file system?

Thanks, Eric

Re: tomcat7 PID file and status check

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Eric Wood <Er...@irondata.com> wrote:
> I trying to find a service script (init.d) that I can use to start, stop, and check status of my tomcat7 instances.  We run multiple instances of tomcat of a single server. I have found scripts out that where the status call checks the ps table to get the pid to determine the status.
>
> I thought that tomcat wrote out a .pid file into the file system, but I do not see it in my tomcat instance folder structure. What is the proper way to manage the pid ... do I get it from the process table via ps or do I write it out to the file system?

Look at the output of  `cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin && grep pid *.sh` :-)

http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan