Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/21 18:43:02 UTC

Question on performance data for Kafka vs NATS

HI All,

https://nats.io/about/

this shows a general comparison of sender/receiver throughputs for NATS and
other messaging system including our favourite Kafka.

It appears that Kafka, despite taking the 2nd place, has a very low
throughput. My question is, where does Kafka win over NATS? is it the
unique partitioning and delivery semantics? Or, is it something else.

From what I can see, NATS has traditional pub/sub and queuing. But it
doesn't look like there is any proper retention system built for this.

Has anyone come across this already?

Thanks,

Re: Question on performance data for Kafka vs NATS

Posted by Adam Bellemare <ad...@gmail.com>.
One more thing to note:

You are looking at regular, base NATS. On its own, it is not a direct 1-1
comparison to Kafka because it lacks things like data retention, clustering
and replication. Instead, you would want to compare it to NATS-Streaming, (
https://github.com/nats-io/nats-streaming-server ). You can find a number
of more recent articles and comparisons by a simple web search.

With that being said, this is likely not the best venue for an in-depth
discussion on tradeoffs between the two (especially since I see you're
spanning two very large mailing lists).

Adam

Posted by Adam Bellemare <ad...@gmail.com>.
One more thing to note: