Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by Mike K <mk...@semanticresearch.com> on 2011/10/07 21:25:56 UTC

Shiro and unix file system permissions

We are using Shiro but our application has developed the need for unix-style
permissions, where access to a particular object needs to be restricted that
Shiro does not seem to support. Spring Security has ACL that can be used
that way - e.g.
http://www.abcseo.com/tech/java/unix-filesystems-permissions-with-spring-security
Anyone achieve this sort of functionality with Shiro or given it some
thought?

Mike.

Re: Shiro and unix file system permissions

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

This is actually one of Shiro's best strengths, and it has been part
of Shiro for many years (long before Spring Security ACLs I believe).

You'll want to read Shiro's Authorization chapter:
http://shiro.apache.org/authorization.html
and specifically, Permissions: http://shiro.apache.org/permissions.html

In fact, the very first conceptual example on the Permissions page is
'open a file' :).

Ultimately Shiro's Permission construct is extremely powerful and is
most often used to model ACL behavior - you can use Shiro's default
WildcardPermission semantics or define your own entirely for very
custom needs.

HTH!

Cheers,

--