Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Celik, Servet (ext MA)" <ex...@zivit.de> on 2008/10/13 18:13:46 UTC

Using S/MIME encryption in Tomcat5.5 fails

Hi *,

I try to encrypt outgoing mails from my webapplication with S/MIME.

Therefore I make use of the BouncyCastleProvider and created an example
according to http://javamail-crypto.sourceforge.net/. Afterwards I
introduced Bouncycaste as securityprovider by adding the line
"security.provider.7=org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider" to
the file
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security.

When I start the class as a standalone JavaApplication everything works
fine, but putting it into my webapplication and calling it raises a
NoSuchProviderException
(DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.3.1
java.security.NoSuchProviderException: No provider configured for S/MIME at
net.suberic.crypto.EncryptionManager.getEncryptionUtils(Unknown Source)).

Here is a list of libraries, that I include in the lib-directory of the
created WAR-file:
 - activation.jar
 - bcmail-jdk15-141.jar
 - bcprov-ext-jdk15-141.jar
 - bcprov-jdk15-141.jar
 - cryptomail.jar
 - javamail-crypto_060622.jar
 - javamail-crypto-bouncycastle-smime_060622.jar
 - mail.jar
 - mailapi.jar
 - smtp.jar

I also tried to put them into commons/lib but the exception is still thrown.
I use Java1.5_14 and Tomcat5.5.

Thanks in advance for your effort. Any help will be apreciated.

Cheers,
  Servet

RE: Using S/MIME encryption in Tomcat5.5 fails

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
I dont believe the default BC jars have S/MIME capability
I would download bcmail<JDK>.jar and place in your /lib folder
from
http://www.bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html

let me know if this helps..
Martin