Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Yusuf Saib <yu...@intellocity.com> on 2001/12/25 21:16:36 UTC

batik viewer speed

Hi all. Why does it take so long for Batik to draw stuff?

For example, MathMetal.svg in the sample directory. It's only 30k in size
and it takes my 750MHz PC 12 seconds before it draws it, while the status
bar says "Rendering internal tree".

What can be done to speed it up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

error: 'using original entity definition for """.

Posted by jonathan chetwynd <j....@btinternet.com>.
error: 'using original entity definition for "&quot".

could anyone please tell me how to stop this error?

I seem to get it for 'any' html page rather than an svg which works great.

thanks
--
j.chetwynd@btinternet.com

http://www.peepo.com "enjoy surfing the net"
http://www.learningdifficulty.org

Re: batik viewer speed

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

TK> On Tuesday 25 December 2001 21:16, Yusuf Saib wrote:
>> Hi all. Why does it take so long for Batik to draw stuff?
>>
>> For example, MathMetal.svg in the sample directory. It's only 30k
>> in size and it takes my 750MHz PC 12 seconds before it draws it,
>> while the status bar says "Rendering internal tree".

TK> MathMetal is a complex svg file with filter effects. The intensive
TK> use of filter effects (like in this example or bookOfKells) gives
TK> some awesome results on the screen but may slow down the
TK> performance.

    The file size is a terrible indicator of rendering time
requirements for SVG. Unlike most traditional file formats (JPEG, PNG,
GIF) SVG is much more like a programming language.  This means that a
very small SVG file can take a very long time to render.

>> What can be done to speed it up?

TK> Nothing for this document :) For yours, you can reduce the number
TK> of filters or at least, use them carefully.

    Actually Thierry, several of the filters in mathMetal could be
made significantly more efficent (so for example in the 'recessed'
filter all the inputs to the feMerge have seperate 'feComposite
operator="in"' with sourceAlpha, it would be much more efficent to do
that once after the merge.  There are a number of other improvements
that could be made to the filters that are used in the document).

    I only point this out to make it clearer that SVG is closer to a
programming language than a 'traditional' graphics file format, since
it is often possible to 'optimize' the SVG content (especially when
filters are involved), the same is not true of JPEG and GIF (there are
tools that improve the compression for these formats - often reducing
quality in the processes, but they don't modify the _decoding_ time
significantly).

--
							Thomas DeWeese
Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com

Re: batik viewer speed

Posted by Thierry Kormann <tk...@ilog.fr>.
On Tuesday 25 December 2001 21:16, Yusuf Saib wrote:
> Hi all. Why does it take so long for Batik to draw stuff?
>
> For example, MathMetal.svg in the sample directory. It's only 30k in size
> and it takes my 750MHz PC 12 seconds before it draws it, while the status
> bar says "Rendering internal tree".

MathMetal is a complex svg file with filter effects. The intensive use of
filter effects (like in this example or bookOfKells) gives some awesome
results on the screen but may slow down the performance.

> What can be done to speed it up?

Nothing for this document :) For yours, you can reduce the number of filters
or at least, use them carefully.

Regards,

Thierry.

RE: batik viewer speed

Posted by Danny Ayers <da...@virgilio.it>.
BTW, Adobe's plug-in doesn't seem able to render it correctly at all.

---

Danny Ayers
<stuff> http://www.isacat.net </stuff>

Alternate email (2001) :